MIL Annapolis sucked

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Socrates, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Not a good movie, some inaccuracies, and fraternization doesn't even exist.

Tyrese (aka the bad boy instructor) somehow was a Marine prior to the movie time frame, then a naval officer at the academy, then at the end of the movie he was in deserts as a Marine officer.

2. aftershock-

aftershock- rawr -.-

im gonna see it monday probably..and a little fyi: prior service can go to the academy, from the previews that ive seen, he wasnt an officer while at the academy, he was an upper classman, who are pretty much in charge of the lower classmen. and finaly, when you get out of the academy, you have the choice of going marine officer, or navy.

3. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Now that you said that, that definitely makes sense.

I didn't understand how it all worked, but i'm definitely sure that that is what happend...although he seemed to be of equal authority as a lot of the navy officers. Also he lead a lot of drills and didn't do them himself.

4. aftershock-

aftershock- rawr -.-

the upperclassman have a lot of authority there. when you first get there and get hazed and all that, its them doing it to you, not teachers

5. Nixstress

Nixstress Look at me! I am edgy and stabby! OT Supporter

With ROTC the freshman are considered the "new recruits" with no priviledges and having to earn everything. The sophmores are considered the cadre, the seniors are officers. There are companies and within them there are COs, XOs (held by seniors) and first sgts (held by junior). The companies make up batallions and the battallions make up Brigades with COs and XOs in each just the same as in the military. It all depends on how big the ROTC program is. Seniors are referred to as sir and the uniforms/rank will differ from actual military uniform. PT, drills, everything is lead and taught to the freshman by upperclassman.

FYI, I haven't seen the movie.

6. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

yer mom has torrents :hsugh:

7. SoCaLlove

SoCaLlove New Member

Does tyresse say "bra" hehe

8. brownfield

brownfield OT Supporter

How the fuck do you advertise a movie about a military academy and then all it is a boxing movie??? Fuck this movie. I told Jon it would suck and he still made me waste $5.75. The only redeeming thing about it was that Chic-fil-A was across the street from the theatre.

9. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

at any of the Academies Seniors pretty much run the show. Academy training is about teaching you to be a leader.

As pointed out, once you graduate the Naval Academy and are granted your commision and no longer a "middie" you choose Navy or Marines. Naval Academy grads are also granted "Line Officer" status which means they qualify for command of a vessel someday.

10. someonenew

pssst Annapolis isn't ROTC:o

11. galek_spoo

galek_spoo New Member

so did you go watch BrokeBack Mountain after to close the evening :mamoru:?

just from the previews you can see that its crap.

12. Nixstress

Nixstress Look at me! I am edgy and stabby! OT Supporter

:dunno: I've never been to Annapolis and I haven't seen the movie, based on what he said I commented about ROTC and figured it was the same infrastructure with the military academies.

13. spyder007

spyder007 Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

at least jordanna brewster was in it :yum:

14. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

it really wasn't *too* far off from reality, at least according to some friends of mine who went to academies. there were definitely some exaggerations - the boxing tournaments are much less brutal - they don't really let anyone get hurt, and they always wear safety equipment, even in the finals.

and yes, fraternization is rampant, although not nearly as blatant as in the movie.

15. thesuperlurker

thesuperlurker yes i know i have few posts... you arent the first

I think you actually put it your choice for Navy or Marines before you get your commission. If you watch the commission ceremony on tv sometimes you'll see some of the new commissionees in dark coats which are the dress blues coats. Those are teh Marine commissionees. Also, there are limited Marine slots, so not everyone that chooses Marines gets it. The Academy Marines also have to go to a Leatherneck course at Quantico, which is a very abbreviated OCS type course.

16. someonenew

not 100%, but I know that we had some Middies doing their Cruise on my boat, and 1 of the guys was saying he hated being there because he was planning to go Marine not Navy. Sucked for him to be stuck on a Sub for a midshipmen cruise and then go be a ground pounder:rofl:

17. aftershock-

aftershock- rawr -.-

ya they get to go be on ships and shit for a little bit to get a feel for it and what not. my dad was on a sub and said he had some middies come on thinking they were already officers. one of them told an enlisted guy to go get him some coffee. the enlisted guy said "fuck you" and walked away :rofl:

18. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Haha, my PMI (primary marksmanship instructor) told us a story about one of those faggots telling him and his buddy (lance cpls at the time) to go swab the head. They had him follow them into the head and beat the shit out of him.

True story? Who knows.

19. someonenew

that's what we call a Sea Story....

20. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

agreed

21. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

Sry didnt feel like reading all of the posts here i skimmed and didnt see anything i liked so here goes. At the USNA there are midshipmen that are classified as MO's Marine Option's , they go through all of the regular USNA training plus a couple of super short stints at OCS in Quantico (forgot the name of the program, but its different from PLC, or OCC). The only reason I know this crap is my buddy from HS is an MO there(hopefully we can get pinned at around the same time, same goes for our buddy at AFA, im the oddman in the group not goin to a service academy :wtc: )