COMIC ANN interviews a fansubber

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by tun, Mar 12, 2008.

1. tun

tun Active Member

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2008-03-11

Mostly obvious stuff (to me anyway). He reiterated the same ideas that I had about what the industry can do to combat fansubbing. I should volunteer and give an interview for the supposed "new age" fansubber's point of view.

2. Soymilk

Soymilk New Member

didnt read, but im assuming the speed thing was one of the points. why wait to pay when i can get it now for free?

3. Sr20magik

Sr20magik OT Supporter

Its a good article, opend my eyes:eek3:to alot of things i didnt know.

4. Sr20magik

Sr20magik OT Supporter

Werd. Mainly the point he was making was that if the industry did what the fansubbers were doing and released the anime at the same speed the fansubbers do it would make fan subbing obsolete.

5. tun

tun Active Member

Even so, I think fansubbing would still exist for that small group of elitists who don't like the way companies would translate it. You have people who prefer liberal translations, those who prefer a very strict translation with many cultural aspects retained, and those who like something in the middle. You can't satisfy all of them.

6. Sr20magik

Sr20magik OT Supporter

Nah i totally agree with you. I know for sure fansubbing wont just cease to exist if the industry does step there "game" up. I actually would like fansubbing to stick around only for the fact that i might want to watch 1-2 episodes of a show b4 i commit myself to buying it. Even now when i watch a show i really enjoy i go out and buy it.

7. blackrat

blackrat OT Supporter

I remember reading some editorial where it said that Japanese anime companies depend on the stateside people to buy their products for whatever reason. Doesn't make much sense to me since it's always been a relatively small market over here anyway. The amount of likely buyers in Japan would be many times more than us. It does hurt the American distributors though, since they have to pay money for licensing and whatnot.

Am I missing something here or do the foreign studios really look to the US for big profit?

8. Interesting read.

I believe copying Youtube and iTunes would really help them. Have small lower quality versions that you can watch for free (like youtube) that rely on the ads on the site to generate profit, and high quality / HD versions that you would buy for 1-2 bucks (iTunes).

I really don't know who should be in control of the site, though. People like it when everything is in one place.

Anyways, off to class :run:

9. Schecter1277

Schecter1277 hi

If I had to pay for it, my anime days would be done. The only reason I watch anime is because it's free entertainment.

10. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Fansubs > *.*

11. Sekuhara

Sekuhara FIGHT THE POWER

I'd be happy with a subtitle file for each release :hs:

12. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

I wouldn't stream anything, downloads FTW.

13. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

The reason that the US is so important is that there are relatively few anime series that make it over to the US, so the ones that do have a far better market. While it is true the amount of buyers is probably larger in Japan, that market is already saturated, so each show's market share is tiny.

14. Schecter1277

Schecter1277 hi

I find it pathetic how people pretend this to be factual.

15. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

just my theory on it. If you have a better explanation, or some reason its wrong, lets hear it. Arguing with it by simply dismissing it as non-factual isn't a very good argument technique.

16. Snoopy007

Snoopy007 #´・ω・)っ且~ OT Supporter

nice read :coold:

i'm also irritated that crunchyroll's making money off subs. fuck the faggots uploading our subs that we worked so hard on to that shit site :mad:

i totally feel him on new fansubbers, though, them bitches just want speed. i recently kicked out a faggot for releasing shitty speed subs :bowdown:

17. Schecter1277

Schecter1277 hi

Ok, walk into any store you like aside from an anime store and tell me how big their anime section is? If there is one at all you'll probably see either dragon ball Z, FMA, naturo, bleach, or if they are really fancy, Haruhi Suzumiya.
    What you won't see are the rest of the thousands of other titles that are avaliable. 99% of anime watchers, won't order something online and have it shipped because it's more expensive, takes a week, and they can get it within a couple hours for free at home.
    It takes a real idiot to pay for something they can get for free, with less hassle.
    So, while there is a huge market for anime merchandise and manga, the market for the actual anime is quite small.
    Most of the time what happens is a person likes a piticular anime a whole lot, then buys it on DVD so he can have that tangable recording of it; though, mostly because he was at an anime convention and might have happened to see it and thought it was a good deal.
    However, the guy that goes on amazon and orders anime season by the bushel just to try them out... doesn't exist, as a large group.
    Anime companies make more money off the merchandise for an anime than the actual anime, which is why you see dolls and figurines of an anime flooding over the gates way before you will ever see the anime.

Is that what you wanted?

18. tun

tun Active Member

wat

what group are you in anyway?

19. Snoopy007

i started my own a few months ago :noes:

20. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Cool.

Now sub Wangan Midnight :fawk:

21. Snoopy007

Plot Summary: After losing a street race to Tatsuya Shima's legendary "Blackbird" Porsche 911 Turbo, high school student Akio Asakura purchases a heavily-modified first-generation Datsun S30 Fairlady Z from a junkyard. The car has a dark history of accidents, leading some to believe it's cursed; hence its nickname "Devil Z." Akio also discovers that the Z's first owner shared his first and last name, and was killed in the car during a race with the Blackbird. Meanwhile, fashion model Reina Akikawa joins the rivalry between Akio and Tatsuya with her modified Nissan Skyline GT-R R32.

wtf is this initial D

22. Sekuhara

Sekuhara FIGHT THE POWER

23. tun

tun Active Member

name? I wanna see your guys' work :coold: