animation/video-where to begin?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DrK_Mrk_iV, Nov 10, 2004.

1. DrK_Mrk_iV

DrK_Mrk_iV OT Supporter

I want to start getting into some video editing and animation. Render my own video and such. I haven't a clue what to start out with or what to do. Or search for. Programs? Links? My computer is something like...
    1.92 ghz (amd) running at 166 mhz on the fsb
    gig of pc3200
    raptor
    80 gig
    More of a hardware guy... ;)

2. s4087046

s4087046 New Member

you'll need a great video card thats for sure, you'll need at least 2048mb of ram and you'll need to go and buy the best video editing software around.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

wow, I guess you've never done video editing s4087046...

Video editing does NOT require a great video card. Anything that handles the resolution you want will be sufficient. A crappy Radeon 7000 or nVidia MX440 will be more than adequate.

Also, 1GB of RAM is quite satisfactory for the hobby video editor.

4. DrK_Mrk_iV

DrK_Mrk_iV OT Supporter

I've got a 9600xt. I guess that is good enough. Now, about rendering. Any good (free) programs and guides out there? thanks.

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I'm not much into video editing, but you'll need much more than an 80 gig hard drive.

There is a program called Houdini which is used for animation. It is definitely not free. I highly doubt you will find any quality animation program for free.

As for Video editing, there are some options. I use Roxio 7. There is Adobe Encore, Sony Vegas... Again, probably not too much available for free.

HTH.

6. DrK_Mrk_iV

DrK_Mrk_iV OT Supporter

Thanks. I'll look into those programs. Again thanks. :)

7. matale

matale OT Supporter

I have a 2Ghz P4 with just 256Mb of ram and I do some Dv video editing on it, u should be ok with 1Gg, as for the programs Adobe Premiere for video editing and Adobe After effects for Animation. Full quality DV video takes 13Gb/hour so hard drive usage will depend on the lenght and quality of ur video, I use 40Gb for windows and my programs and 90Gb for my video files.