MMA Anderson Silva to HW?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by furst, Aug 20, 2009.

1. furst

furst THE BOWRD OT Supporter

By Josh Gross

Anderson Silva wants big-money event fights. And he's willing to work at heavyweight to make sure they happen.

Prior to Silva's flooring Forrest Griffin earlier this month in Philadelphia, SI.com confirmed that Silva's representatives had spoken with Zuffa about the heralded UFC middleweight champion moving up to heavyweight for the first time in his career.

Not only that, they already had an opponent in mind: Frank Mir.

Disinterested by middleweight contenders Nathan Marquardt, Demian Maia and Dan Henderson, and unwilling to fight close friend Lyoto Machida at light heavyweight -- where Silva could conceivably knock off challengers and make a disaster out of the UFC's marquee division -- "The Spider" needs new, challenging scenarios to stay motivated. A move to heavyweight would certainly achieve that, and according to Silva's manager Ed Soares, the UFC was receptive to the idea.

Based on longevity and dominance, the label of MMA's best fighter has arguably belonged to Russian heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko for the past few years. However, the gap between Emelianenko and Silva has closed to a photo finish. And if the UFC can be convinced tha a move to heavyweight is the right plan as 185 sorts itself out, Silva could set himself up to supplant Emelianenko as the sport's best.

It would indeed be impressive for a former world champion at 167 pounds to climb all the way to heavyweight. If he gets his way and beats Mir, that would set up blockbusters against Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic, or, dare we say it, Brock Lesnar, a fight Silva would accept if the money is right.

Beyond legacy issues, which media and fans tend to focus on more than fighters, the move up could drastically improve Silva's paydays, which would increase with the size of his opponents and corresponding pay-per-view numbers.

For all those reasons, I like the move.

Sure, the organization's middleweight division features several threats. But outside of Maia, we've already seen Silva brush most challengers aside. Silva's team argues that Henderson, Marquardt and Maia aren't deserving. They want the Marquardt-Maia winner to fight Henderson to establish a true contender in the division. I don't think it's a terrible idea. There shouldn't be any disagreement that Marquardt or Maia against Henderson would be a perfect bout to use the Nevada option of five-round non-title fights (more on that to come).

Otherwise, the one challenger rarely mentioned these days is Yushin Okami, whom Silva should fight before he leaves the division for good. Outside of that, you're talking about Vitor Belfort and Wanderlei Silva, both great names and potential draws who are just emerging at 185.

The best bouts might come at light heavyweight -- Silva vs. Rampage; Rashad; Shogun; and down the road, Jon Jones or Gegard Mousasi -- but with Silva and Machida refusing to fight, an extended stay at 205 doesn't make sense. By the sound of things, the talented Brazilians won't compete no matter how much pressure comes down from Dana White and the UFC.

"I'm gonna say there's no way they fight," said Soares, who also manages Machida.

What does that leave? Heavyweight.

Who wouldn't want to see whether Silva at his walk-around 215 to 220 pounds is good enough to defeat opponents regardless of weight? Pound for pound personified, I say. A win or two in the division would embolden fans and media with enough hope that Silva could be the one to stop Lesnar.

The pound-for-pound king an underdog? Imagine that.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/josh_gross/08/20/anderson.silva.heavyweight/

2. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

was only a matter of time before this would happen.

3. BoomBoomBoy

BoomBoomBoy Guest

I'd enjoy seeing him kick Lesnar's ass.:bigthumb:

4. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

I'd actually like to see Silva vs Lesnar or even Fedor to be honest :o. I think being a lighter heavyweight has it's advantages, until you fight someone as big as Lesnar with a good wrestling base :wtc:.

I knew Lyoto and him would never fight and I don't know why Dana was saying it like he was gonna be the one to make it happen. I could never fight a close friend seriously.

5. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

Sorry, but Lesnar would bash his skull in.

6. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

I don't feel comfortable making the same statement, but there would a huge size difference... :eek3:

7. Ghost of Swayze

Ghost of Swayze Ofcourse you mad

I think Silva is the greatest fighter i ever seen but..he will have no answer for Brock Lesnars wrestling and size advantage

8. FrostofSparta

FrostofSparta Frost-O-Lantern

I agree... Brock would have a huge size and power advantage.

9. Khaaz

Khaaz New Member

I don't think Lesnar will have an answer for Silvas speed, timing, and striking ability. I forsee Lesnar charging at Anderson like a bull and while anderson avoids him and counters for a TKO win.

10. Khaaz

Khaaz New Member

goin out on a bit of a limb there with that statement huh?

11. Toodles

Toodles You are the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the w OT Supporter

I'd like to see if he can still retain his quickness, agility, and EVASIVENESS (lolz) with another 20+ lbs on him.

12. Redneck Shinobi

Why is he going to need to put on another 20lbs? If he walks around at 215-220 he's already a light heavyweight. Fedor fights at 230 or so.

13. edward_cullen

edward_cullen Unemployed Since 08

I can see him beating Couture, but that's about it.

Cain, Carwin and Lesnar would all take him down and pound the living shit out of him.

14. Toodles

because he fought forrest at 205 :hsugh:

i think he'd want to come in weighing at least 230+ if they're mentioning Mir and Lesnar as potential matchups. they're big dudes compared to Silva. :dunno:

15. Toodles

well i guess a potential matchup with GSP is out of the question, even if we already know Silva would bash his skull in :hs:

16. Khaaz

Khaaz New Member

God i'd love to see that. GSP should man up and fight him at MW.

17. Redneck Shinobi

If Silva walks around at 220 that means he's only 25 lbs away from Mir. I honestly don't think that's much of a difference since he certainly has the tools and skill-set to put him away. I get my ass whooped in sparring with a guy 90lbs lighter than me (has even picked me up and slammed me down on a lazy sprawl :o).

18. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

Just picture the Lutter fight but with Lesnar ontop of instead of Lutter. Anderson's TD is great but he's been taken down by guys half Lesnar's size and not to mention Lesnar's wrestling ability is on another level.

19. El Rudo

El Rudo The Borinqueneers

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

20. OnionPeel

OnionPeel New Member

why couldn't fedor and ufc just come to an agreement!!!!!!!!:rant:

21. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

It would only take 1 take down from Lesnar to do huge damage to Anderson. If Anderson can defend against Brock's take downs for 25 minutes, I'd be :eek3:.

22. Khaaz

Khaaz New Member

Obviously Anderson will be much more careful about avoiding getting taken down by Lesnar than he was against Lutter or even Henderson. He's a BJJ blackbelt and he probably thought he would be fine even if the fight went to ground (he did submit them both) Also Anderson has gotten better since those fights, his movement especially looks to have improved a great deal since then, probably thanks to training with Machida.

23. Khaaz

Khaaz New Member

The only questions is, does Anderson have the power to KO that bigass head of Lesnars. If so, the fight will last closer to 25 seconds than 25 mins.

24. Khaaz

Khaaz New Member

Oh and Anderson would straight up embarrass Mir. Didn't he see what happened with Forrest?? What does Mir think he has that Forrest doesn't, that is gonna make him do any better against Anderson than Forrest did?

25. alkalinesolo

alkalinesolo Active Member

I'd be interested in seeing him fight at HW, but I don't think there's anyway he can beat Lesnar or Carwin or anyone else that is a natural 265+ pounder.

Silva vs Couture, Mir, Velasquez, Nog, Kongo, etc would be highly entertaining though.