MMA Anderson Silva slams Vitor "betrayal"

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Atmosphere, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/news/viewarticle.php?id=3275

20/10/09 - Anderson Silva slams Vitor 'betrayal'

Anderson Silva made clear in a recent conversation with Fighters Only that he is not impressed by the arrival of Vitor Belfort in the middleweight division. Anderson, well known for his constant refusal to fight his friend and training partner Lyoto Machida, is equally unimpressed by Belfort happily agreeing to fight him for his middleweight belt.

Asked what he thinks about Belfort’s arrival in the UFC middleweight division, he sneered, “Which Vitor is that? The one who trained with me, Rogerio and Rodrigo a few months ago?”

Clearly Belfort’s willingness to fight him without complaint has touched a nerve. It is clear that Anderson sees it as a betrayal of some kind. “Maybe he will want to fight Rodrigo or Rogerio, even though he is training with them. I think Vitor has to find himself, he is totally lost," he spat.

As if to prove the point, he once again reiterates his refusal to fight light-heavyweight Lyoto Machida, the light-heavyweight champion.

"There isn’t that possibility. I’m Lyoto’s friend, I like him a lot, and I think it’s hard for anyone to beat him. There is no money that will make me fight him. Dana White can forget about that, “ he says. “I´m very happy with my belt, I don’t need more belts."

If reports are to be believed, Silva is set to meet Belfort at UFC 108 in January to defend his middleweight belt. The clash will allow him to express his dissatisfaction with Belfort in the most direct way possible.

2. Scout

Scout OT Supporter

I hope he beats the fuck out of Vitor :bowdown:

He's (Vitor) been training at some really small ass gym in Brazil, which is reknown for......nothing as far as I know. A friend is training at the same gym now. Even he's stumped as to why he's training there

3. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Wait, he's upset with Vitor due to the fact Vitor wants to practice his profession as a fighter, and fight him? Or is he offended he's not taking the Machida route and refusing to fight him due to some sort of Anderson Silva reverence.

Anderson is a douche.

4. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

Silva refusing to fight a friend is honorable

however, him criticizing others for it is lame

5. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Anderson is a cool champ but he is being a baby.

6. teep

teep New Member

I used to think that not wanting to fight your friend was kind of a big load. I'd fight any of my friends. But then I realized the only thing I have at stake is bragging rights. For these guys it's a much bigger deal. In fighting your friend you can potentially harm their career and livelihood. These guys have shared so much together. I can see why Anderson is pissed.

7. Khaaz

Khaaz New Member

Band of Brothers, watch it faggots.

8. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

I'm not focusing on the fact that Machida refuses to fight Anderson, nor vice versa, however him slamming Vitor for wanting to fight is nonsense.

9. Khaaz

Khaaz New Member

I would agree if it wasn't Anderson himself that he wanted to fight. You think your friends with someone, you help them out, and then they suddenly turn around and want to fight you? What's not understandable about Anderson being insulted by that.

10. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

friendship vs. business

part of being a professional is putting emotions aside and get to work

friends fight all the time

11. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

I think it's also about training with someone, helping them be a better fighter and revealing your techniques to them, and to have them turn around and potentially use that against you, when you trusted them and allowed them into your academy.

12. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

I have problems sparring with my friend I couldn't even imagine trying to do that shit for real. I think it's a certain mind set you gotta put yourself in for some people and I have to want to physically hurt the other person. I can't do that to my friends :hs:.

13. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

ah, that makes sense
    i know...just playing devil's advocate

i can see both sides of the story here

14. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

I know if I had an awesome camp that had my back and we were the best in the biz, and a friend asked if he could train with us, then came and trained with us for a while, then turns around and asks to fight me, i'd be pissed.

15. teep

teep New Member

this i don't really understand. it's what the sport is. it's exactly why you're both there. if you don't push each other around neither of you will ever get better.

16. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

What do you guys expect Vitor to do? The UFC is giving him a title shot. Its not like Anderson is not going to be champ any time soon.

17. Khaaz

Khaaz New Member

Do you really think fighting is about business to Anderson? No, guys like him and Machida live fighting, they didn't get into it cuz they thought they could make a lot of money.

18. kopetzki

kopetzki Banned

anderson is not paying Vitors bills so fuck him

19. teep

teep New Member

they didn't get into it for the money. most don't. but it's how they feed their families now so business most definitely is a factor. by your logic no one would ever have contractual disputes

20. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

both Silva and Machida already have belts

as a fighter, what's Vitor to do if he doesn't have aspirations to get the belt himself? just become the perpetual, self-appointed gatekeeper until one of them loses the belt?

if Wandy beat Arona, he would've faced Shogun, and both had little qualms about facing each other

21. Khaaz

Khaaz New Member

It's one thing to fight a friend when you have no other option, but Vitor isn't at that point where his only option is to fight Anderson. Vitor should be fighting Henderson, Marquardt, Okami or someone first anyways. It probably seems like a personal attack for Vitor to go after Andersons belt so suddenly without even talking about it with Anderson.

22. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

if your work offers you a job as an exec, would you tell them "no thanks -- i rather work my way up the ladder"?

23. alkalinesolo

alkalinesolo Active Member

Vitor should be trying to fight for the belt. Anderson has the belt.

If he wanted to fight Anderson at a catchweight of 205 or something then I think Anderson may have a point. But that's not the case. Vitor is trying to get the belt, and Anderson sounds like a pussyhurt bitch.

24. Guz200sx

Guz200sx The man who does more than he is paid for will soo

This is true but this is business, not personal, I'm sure.

UFC gave Belfort the title shot so why would he turn it down? If you're in the MMA/UFC (and other sports) I think you're in it to be a champion one day, right? I mean, everybody wants to make their mark in the sport.

And this whole "i'm not fighting my friend" bullshit has to stop. Seriously. DW needs to put a stop to the shit. Its getting ridiculous already. What's DW gonna do when one day two LHW fighters are from the same camp and one is the champ and the other is DESERVING of a title shot?? Is DW just gonna bypass him and move onto to someone lower than the #1 contender just because the Champ and the #1 contender are from the same camp and are friends????? Thats bullshit.

If these fighters are in it to give people, the fans, the most exciting fights then this is what they have to do. Its a sport, a game, just like football and basketball. Don't they think NFL players have friends that play on different teams but they still play each other and they still knock the hell out of each other???? Don't they think that NBA players like Michael Jordan and guys he played against like Charles Barkley and Patrick Ewing are friends??? But they still played against each other and the better team/players won.

Anderson is being a baby and I seriously don't think he wants to fight Belfort.
    I hope Belfort beats him because of all his BS whining.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  25. Khaaz

Khaaz New Member

Most contractual disputes are more about respect than actual money issues. When you know you are making the UFC a lot of money, and they don't return the favor and pay you what you're worth, you feel disrespected; and thats when the contractual disputes happen.

When you see other fighters making more money than you when you feel you have done more for the UFC, thats when a contractual dispute will happen.

It's about not being disrespected, and not feeling like you've been taken advantage of.