LGBT and what of community?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by cedric, Jul 12, 2004.

1. cedric

cedric I don't have a contract

I've been reading a few posts lately that make certain aspects of the gay community somewhat harsh. I'm sure that it's probably just the few negative experiences which receive more attention than the more plentiful positive ones, but this has nevertheless left me wondering something. What is it about the gay community that makes it seem like so many people are: cruel, conceited, superficial or just plain fucked up?

I've been able to come to grips with my own sexuality much more easily and a LOT quicker than I had expected, largely due to finding the welcoming and supportive community in this forum. Also of equal if not greater help was serendipidously finding a wonderful guy with whom I could share the experience. However, sometimes I'm left wondering whether or not I even want to be part of what people seem to refer to as: "the gay community," when I come out. I've never been the type to get really involved in activities or issues in general. I'm pretty content to do my own thing without much care as to what anyone else thinks.

But, back to the question at hand: what do you guys think of this so-called community?

2. NOVAJock

NOVAJock Modded & Underrated

The gay community is what you make of it, depending on how much you want to get involved in it. There are some aspects of the gay community which I find distasteful and downright repulsive. And there are other aspects of the community which I find warm and inviting. The warm and inviting aspects of the community are few and far between...in my opinion.

The negative aspects are many:

1. Queeniness
    2. Bitchiness
    3. Snottiness
    4. Narcissum
    5. Pretentiousness
    6. Sexual Extremes

Now please understand that I'm not categorizing all homosexuals with the qualities above, but depending on where you look, you can easily find collective groups of these types of individuals, especially in the inner-city gay populations.

Heterosexual society also has it's share of these types of people that also exhibit the qualities I listed above with the exception of #1. Again, it all depends on where you go and what social class some of these people are from.

Unfortunately, it's the qualities that I listed above that has given the majority of homosexual community a bad rap. In my opinion, the bad rap exists because:

1. Homosexual society is smaller, and in some ways can be tighter than heterosexual society,

2. Gay Pride Parades have done nothing to dispell the myths and rumors about homosexuality, and instead has deterred sound progress and education.

Now as a gay male, you have the opportunity to become actively involved in the gay community whether its through local community activities, networking groups, political organizations, or circuit parties. The same opportunity exists for you if you were a straight male; how you relate to your local community depends upon how involved in it you want to get.

The more involved you become, the more different and varying aspects of the community will become more apparent to you.

Personally, I choose not to get involved with most of the gay community. I have my gay friends and they are the type of friends who know who they are. Have no need to get involved in queeny, pretentious drama, and who do not let their sexual preference define who they are inside. They view their sexual preference the same way I do...it's just one small aspect of who I am and what I value.

My ultimate goal, and I think at some point you and I have discussed this in the past: is to live my life in peace, in the burbs, with a life-partner, the house, the white picket fence and the dogs. I have no desire to become involved in a community such as the gay community.

Yes, I'm gay. No, I'm not part of the gay community though.

3. veinglory

veinglory Guest

I don't think there is any monolithic 'gay community'. I don't get much bitchiness where I am.

4. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

It has to be those damn leather buttless chaps. They make everything seem so cold--which makes them feel cold, and therefore, their personalities are cold. Damn leather thong chafs up the twins down there too. Or for you ladies, the tuna. rarr.

5. ExDelayed

ExDelayed New Member

IMHO, that is what straight people (& media) think of when they picture the gay community. For the most part, the guys (im using guys because, at least here, the lesbians tend to blend in better) that draw the attention from straight people are the ones that are cruel, conceited, superficial or just plain fucked up. I dont believe most straight people believe that a gay male can do a lot of the things that a straight male can do, most of us have probably met a few such examples though, gay and straight. :mamoru: The guys that exhibit the qualities that you posted tend to be the ones that stand out, the ones that dont know where to put the gas in thier car, etc. Those of us who tend to blend in better dont draw the attention, so the stereotype is of the 'others'. :ugh:

6. Taylor

Taylor Guest

:bowrofl:

7. ExDelayed

ExDelayed New Member

IBsomeonesaysimcruelconceitedsuperficialorjustplainfuckedup

Im actually just really sleepy, so that wasnt supposed to come across completely like it did. Just spent too much time in the hot sun today pulling the motor for my truck with the cute, shirtless, junkyard boy helping me and making me even hotter and quite bothered.

8. Jobe

Jobe keke ^_^

I witnessed my first display of this stereotypical gay (and cross-dressing) community at Denny's last night and it made me glad that I wasn't a part of it. The main reasoning being the jokes/comments from my friends and likely other people in the restaurant about them and their general distaste for these people. The second being their actual conduct. Numerous times did I hear phrases from the transsexuals about them wanting to get rid of their "big dicks" and how much their "pussy was vibrating." And they were actually running around the restaurant saying this. At one point they all just started throwing drinks at each other and even covered a display case with water and splashed one of my friends. Their behavior was appalling to me. This is how other communities see gay people and their "flaming" attitudes and I certainly have no plans to become a part of it.

9. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

People...in general...are getting less respectful. :(

10. marxwa99

marxwa99 Boom Squad

i know late post but...

many gays are like middle school girls

They...
    1) Are gossipy
    2) Are drama queens (the croatian dude who got banned)
    3) Try to be into pop culture and whats hip and the latest buzz (look to the guy in GirlNextDoor's club pics with the avril tie)
    4) LiKe TyPiNg LiKe ThIs AnD mAkInG SNs ThAt ArE tOo DaMn LoNg
    5) Obsess over Britney Spears and get butthurt when you dislike their music. (Trust me, i've made many enemies when i told them that her new cd disappointed me)

Feel free to add to the list :)

11. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

:ugh: Bad experience..

..but no need to stereotype based on one horrible experience..

12. GND

GND BBP! OT Supporter

You're most likely going to be known as a walking stereotype to close-minded folks

whether you're gay, str8, bi, black, white..etc there will be a certain degree of struggle for acceptance in ANY group. :sad2:

13. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Agreed.. Someone will find something wrong with you and stereotype.. Ahh.. such is life. :hs:

14. Sam Gamgee

Sam Gamgee Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right. OT Supporter

Again and again I go back to the quote:

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent" - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Who gives a flying fuck about what others think of you. If you are comfortable in your own skin, fuck the haters.

Seriously.... that's how I have lived my life since I came out of the closet and it's the only way to live.

15. NOVAJock

NOVAJock Modded & Underrated

:werd:

16. GeekDrew

GeekDrew aka DataDrew

:werd:

17. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

:wiggle: :rofl:

18. Notorious R.I.E.

Notorious R.I.E. Queen Bee

I am SOOOO gonna marry her one day :yum: