And THIS is why I love Dell...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bona Fide, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Bona Fide

Bona Fide Guest

[​IMG]

$1691 - 30% discount = $1184

:eek3: Nice deal.

2. cvgwpg

cvgwpg Guest

Not bad... but only a 100GB HD? Hm.

3. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

Its incredible that dell doesn't have gigabit ethernet standard. You can buy a pci gigabit ethernet card for $10, the technology isnt exactly black magic any more. Apple have had it standard in their laptops for 5 years.

Im not trying to get into a mac/pc debate, but gigabit eth would be a serious consideration for me if I was buying a dell :dunno:

4. Bona Fide

Bona Fide Guest

It's the largest 7200RPM drive they have. I doubt I'll fill up 100GB on a laptop anyway, and 7200>5400.

Well, I'm rarely going to be hooking into a wired ethernet, since most of the campus is WiFi-connected, as is my dorm room. Even if I was, I think 100MBps is pretty fast :dunno:

5. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

When would a gigabit ethernet be practical for a simple laptop user?

6. 7960

7960 New Member

It wouldn't, because most networks can't/aren't capable of handling it. Why pay extra for something (or why should dell bother including it) if it's rarely going to be used?

7. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

I'll bet that 50% of laptop users won't ever plug it in, they'll be on wireless.

8. Bona Fide

Bona Fide Guest

:werd:

9. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

because macs have it :hsugh:

10. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I bought the 1705 with similar specs. THe probs, they said it was a 120 Gb HD when I bought it but I only recieved a 110 Gb drive - they also said it was Win 2k5 MCE but I received Win 2k4 MCE. I just discovered these issues so I'll be contacting Dell soon....however, all I'm really looking for is some sort of resolution because I LOVE this computer.

11. Bona Fide

Bona Fide Guest

Well, as far as the hard drive is concerned, it may have been 120GB before formatting, but it was only 110GB after the format. And with Windows 2K5/2K4 MCE, there's no such thing. There's only one Windows MCE and that's Windows XP MCE, the latest update for which happened in 2004. :)

So really, the source of your problems is a misinterpretation of what Dell meant, and false information from Dell.

12. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

[mobbarley]If it doesn't have gig-e over glass and 4GB HBA's , it's ain't worth shit.[/dumbass]

13. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Pretty sure you're wrong about the Win MCE:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/default.mspx

Just checked the HDs in my other comp...I agree. IT's due to formatting.

Doesn't matter tho...I still love this comp. It's amazing.

One suggestion, stay away from Norton Internet Security 2007 if you get that comp. It conflicts with Sonic DVD and you get a BSOD when you insert a DVD in the drive. Sonic claims to have fixed this with their patch but it didn't work for me. However, uninstalling norton and reinstalling PC-cillin cleared up the problem.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2006
  14. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

actually....... no..

However every reasonable PC motherboard (i've bought 3) in the last few years has had gig-e (two of which had dual gig-e). The laptop being core2duo must have a fairly new chipset, and imo should too.

Im not saying that everyone will need it / want it / use it/ notice any difference, but I would.

15. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Sorry - but this is all you had to say - everything else after this isn't necessary.

16. Bona Fide

Bona Fide Guest

:mamoru:

Well yeah, I plan on throwing that OS re-installation CD right in after I get my laptop. It should get rid of all that bloatware and bullshit.