And here they come...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bolicious, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

EDIT: New rumors from thinksecret.com: http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0510oct12c.html

CLIFFS: Two new ipods (40 and 80G) smaller and in B&W. Pink Madonna Nano. 4 new Mac configs.

New iPod and Mac configs due this week

By Ryan Katz, Senior Editor
    October 9, 2005 - Two new iPods, each available in two colors, will debut at Apple's media event Wednesday, sources have tipped Think Secret. The new models will be priced exactly the same as the ones they replace at $299 and $399.

As previously reported, the October 12 event will see the updated iPods debut but feature changes will be much less significant than the video capabilities some have expected. Sources have said the iPods will sport smaller enclosures while the $399 iPod will very likely see a bump to 80GB. The $299 iPod may also see its storage capacity double from 20GB to 40GB. The color options are expected to mirror the iPod nano, white and black.

Apple is reportedly not worried about extending the capacity gap between the 4GB iPod nano and the current 20GB iPod as the nano and iPod mini it replaced have sold far more units than the full-size ipod. Meanwhile, one Madonna fan site has predicted that Apple will debut a pink Madonna-edition iPod nano. Think Secret sources could not confirm that development, however.

Lastly, reliable sources have informed Think Secret to expect at least four new Mac configurations on Wednesday, although further details were not specified.

PRIOR POST:

October should deliver new iPods, Pro machines

Several pieces of evidence suggest that Apple is preparing new product introductions for this month, primarily new hard disk drive (HDD) iPods and professional Macs.

Like the nano, Apple's fifth-generation HDD iPods are expected to gain an Apple-designed click-wheel and see a significant reduction in overall size and volume.

Sources believe the new players feature Toshiba's perpendicular magnetic recording (PMR) 1.8-inch HDDs, which are setting new benchmarks for data density. Toshiba has announced the drives in 40GB and 80GB capacities, with the 40GB model packing up to 10,000 songs or 25,000 photos on a single platter.

The 40GB drive features the largest single-platter capacity yet achieved in the 1.8-inch form factor, according to the company. Meanwhile, an 80GB version of the drive stores double the amount of data via two 40GB platters.

The new PMR drives are just 5mm and 8mm thick, respectively, making the 40GB drive roughly 3mm thinner and 15% smaller in volume than the 40GB drive Apple used in an earlier version of the iPod.

Sources also continue to support rumors that the new iPods will gain video playback functionality, but have provided very little evidence backing their assertions.

Perhaps the most reliable report on the subject has come from the Wall Street Journal, which in July reported that Apple held discussions with major recording companies over licensing video content for a video-capable version of the iPod due this fall.

The Journal has been extremely accurate in its predictions on Apple this year, even calling the Mac maker's transition to Intel chips in the months leading up to the announcement.

Apple's resellers and retails also anticipate the release of new HDD iPods from Apple and are revising their orders in preparation of new products, AppleInsider has been told. They say current inventory and order trends associated with the 20GB and 60GB iPod photo models are indicative of forthcoming refreshes. Resellers also report lagging sales of iPod photos over the last few months.

Likewise, sources say Apple remains in a position where they could suddenly introduce new professional Macs such as dual-core Power Mac G5s and jazzed-up PowerBooks G4s. Inventory levels of all Macs are are significantly lower than usual with the company's September fiscal quarter ending earlier in the week.

Over in Europe, Apple's distribution channels are as dry as they have ever been, according France-based MacBidouille. "It never happened before, networks between the European distributors for Apple and the local AppleCenters are almost empty," said Lionel, the Web site's editior. "Beside some eMacs and PowerBooks, there is no stocks from the Powermac G5 to the Mac mini, the same for the iBook and the of course the iPod."

While it has been reported that Apple continues to struggle with a final update to its PowerPC-based PowerBook G4 line, volume Macintosh buyers were told this week that they could expect Power Mac G5-related announcements sometime in the "next two weeks."

Last edited: Oct 10, 2005
  2. Inferno

Inferno New Member

Wow.

I just bought my mom a 60 Gig iPod for her birthday.

3. JustSurvive

JustSurvive New Member

"gain an Apple-designed click-wheel"

Doesn't the iPod already have that?

4. She never loved you.

5. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Maybe they meant a new design. The current one works well, but leave it to Apple to make it even better.

6. Inferno

Inferno New Member

acutally, mine doesn't :o

but I'm waiting for something really wrong to happen so I can use my BB PSP and get a brand new nano or somethin like that :)

7. Halon X

Halon X New Member

The click-wheel was designed by Apple but made by a company called Synaptics. They have cut out the middle man and are now making the click-wheel's themselves.

The did the same thing with the trackpads on the Powerbooks and iBooks.

8. Inferno

Inferno New Member

She always has, don't be jelous :)

9. :wtc:

10. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

Since there's still no nikon d200, now I have something else to burn money on. :o

11. newsroom_can

newsroom_can Canada eh?

Perhaps iPod Mini sized regular iPods?

12. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

i'd like to see what these pro machines include. I've really been hoping for a G5 powerbook, mainly because it'll make the G4 prices on powerbooks and iBooks drop a lot.
    But, looking forward to it. my 3rd gen iPod is dieing on me (see thread), so one of these bad boys might be instore for me next.

13. coronet

coronet Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep?

Correct. Apple make the click wheels for the Nano, the first time they have done this. Although people (Engadget, others) have noted that it seemed to be clunkier and less smooth in reaction, that might not be the case for the iPod. Although will the center button be larger as per the Nano? Also, people have pointed at the idea of video, but I think that's something you can forget about.

14. coronet

PS - Those perpendicular-magnetted Toshiba drives are badass. Toshiba uses them to drive 60GB in a smaller cavity than the iPod (not smaller in dimensions, but smaller in drive size), which uses Toshiba's older drives. Can't wait until everyone converts; smaller DAPs for all!

15. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Apple plans special event for Wednesday

Apple seems to have one more thing up its sleeve as it sends out invitations to another special event being held on Wednesday, October 12 at the California Theatre in San Jose, California.

According to Beta News, Apple is using the tagline "One More Thing" on the invitations, which also features a picture of closed theatre curtains. No other details were given. Apple used a similiar event on September 7 at the Moscone Center in San Francisco to launch the iPod nano and the Motorola ROKR iTunes phone.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2005
  16. They should make digital cameras again. Everything on the market stinks.

17. Inferno

Inferno New Member

they used to?

18. Icedog

Icedog New Member

19. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

In for aluminum iPod.

20. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Updated the first post for today's new details...

CLIFFS: Two new ipods (40 and 80G) smaller and in B&W. Pink Madonna Nano. 4 new Mac configs.

21. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

o fuck. A pink madona nano? My mom will be all over that, she keeps on bitching about how she doesnt have an iPod, and LOVES Madona (she is the most technically dis-advanced person i know, i have to come into the computer room to show her where to click to close a damn window).

I'm looking forward to these new mac configs, i must say.

22. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

I'm buying my mom a mac mini for xmas so I'm hoping they announce an full upgrade in mac mini specs that they have been slipping out to the public secretly as a hidden bonus for some buyers.

23. dirteemac

dirteemac hey, how are you?

Meh. Only some new iMacs and ipods today.

boooooooooooooooring.

24. Battousai

Battousai New Member

YEAH!! Toshiba HDs!!! WOW! :ugh2:

Now our iPods can do the click a death with new tech.

Toshiba sucks for HD's....wish they used Hitachi, I've never had a drive from them fail, and IMO they are built better, and faster/cooler. Tons of benchies will prove this.

25. coronet

Toshiba has been making the HDs for Apple for the past 3 generations? If not, the iPod has always been using Toshiba.