And for my next illusion...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, May 28, 2008.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You may recall I recently discovered that the UPS on my server rack outputs only 208V power, even though some of that power passes through 110V-style outlets. The solution was to install a step-down transformer, which is easy enough in theory, except of course it's impossible to order one with the kind of power cord I needed. So I made my own:

[​IMG]

That's a single 220V cord split into two 110V cords, which actually isn't a huge problem because the C13/C14 computer plug is technically capable of handling 220V, though it's generally expected to be used for 110V in localities that use 110V power for most purposes -- such as North Fucking America, if anyone who works at American Power Conversion is reading this.

So the benefit to having the two plugs is that the power connection is redundant and split between the two breakers on the back panel of the UPS. (Yes, I tested the voltage differential between the two circuits, the voltage was always the same and the phase always matched perfectly.) This way if I accidentally hit one of the breakers like I manage to do once a month or so, everything running on the transformer will stay online.

Oh, and it was a damn good thing I removed the 220V twist-lock plug that came with the transformer, because the white wire was never clamped into place -- it was just jammed up against the back of the plug prong it was supposed to connect to. (sigh) Good old American labor. So what if it's not made right? Just let the user plug it in, burn it out, and return it to the refurb line. Gotta keep them boys busy, after all.

2. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

nice heatshrink job

3. deusexaethera

Thanks. Of all the tools I have, my little RadioShack gas-fired soldering iron/blowtorch is in the all-time top 5.

Also, Home Depot sells really good heatshrink tubing. It's made of something called polyolefin, which does a wonderful job of shrinking instead of melting, unlike the cheap stuff.

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

the trick is to always make sure you have it on the wire before you make your splices/connections. sometimes i forget and i have to desolder, put the tubing on, then resolder :rofl:

5. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

That has never happened to me. Ever.

:o

6. deusexaethera

Of course it hasn't.

Did they have fire already, when you were my age?

7. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

just so you know, running a stepdown off your ups will probably kill your ups one day when it starts inverting.