Anabolic Diet Question: Carbs

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by dread, Jul 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dread

dread New Member

I've been on the Anabolic Diet (high protein/fat, low carb) for the past 4 weeks. Everything is going well, however I'm continually hitting a point where my calories are about 2600-2800 and I hit the 30g of carbs for the day.

Can anyone recommend some foods that have high protein/fat that have minimal carbs?

Is anyone else on this type of diet and wouldn't mind sharing a typical days food?

Thanks.

2. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

if the carbs are from trace carb sources i would not worry if you go above 30g carbs

3. dread

dread New Member

Some are and I'm not counting those carbs.

4. Thelonius

Thelonius New Member

Eggs
    Cheese
    Butter
    Beef
    Chicken
    Tuna
    Shrimp
    Turkey
    Nuts
    Cottage Cheese
    Sugar Free Jello
    Green Beans
    Zucchini
    Sour Cream
    Bacon
    Sausages
    Home made beef jerky

5. Thelonius

Thelonius New Member

how could I forget celery with peanut butter, one of the best low carb snacks.

6. smb is me

smb is me New Member

Would you mind posting your daily diet? I'm trying to do something similiar, but am hitting around 50-59g carbs daily on 1900-2100 cals.

7. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

Do you feel lot weaker on 50-59g or pretty much around the same as your rep maxes?

8. dread

dread New Member

Here is today's I need to come up with more variety but finding the prep time is hard. I run a business so balancing it all is a feat in itself.

[​IMG]

9. smb is me

smb is me New Member

Nope, I'm getting weaker. I was getting 3x8 with 265 on bench press (with small back bend) comfortably without a spotter when i was around 140 carbs a day. Yesterday 3x6 was sketchy as hell, on that last rep of the last set i was like: "I NO, I HAVE COMMITTED A GRAVE ERROR."

But honestly i feel like my weakness is a result of no energy more than a result of less strength.

I had maintained, even increased a little, strength on my cut up until i decided to do less than 100, and then less than 60 carbs. thats when i fell off the table. But I have very little muscle mass--one guy who had been away for a month told me i was looking a lot bigger :big grin:. important part.

Edit: looking at the numbers, and 3x8 vs. 3x6 doesn't look like a huge difference. But to answer the question, i'm a little weaker technically, but I FEEL a lot weaker. Its all mental, ya know?

10. dread

dread New Member

My lifts have been increasing steadily and energy levels are high. Definitely feel and look more defined. I went through my first carb up last weekend, Monday at the gym was good, looking forward to seeing how my body reacts next week after the next carb up.

11. smb is me

smb is me New Member

hmmm, you low carb experts think i'd see markedly better results by dropping from say 55g carbs to 20-30...or would that be an insignificant difference?

12. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

know that feeling, I missed a rep on a set and it "felt" lot weaker.

13. smb is me

smb is me New Member

But I haven't figured out the refeed days to my liking yet. I think i'm going to do refeeds once every other week, instead of everyweek. Starting this saturday i'm going to start nailing my refeeds as accurately as the rest of my diet. This could alter how i'm doing strength wise.

I just don't want to get knocked out of ketosis, and than have 3-4 days where i feel like death as i go back into it. Or do you not feel like that following carb up days? Plus despite strength decline, i feel like i've got good momentum going visually, so i don't want to slow that up. Its hard to alter teh plan, when you feel like it is working well.

14. dread

dread New Member

Doing 30g of carbs or less per day M-F. I did Sat and Sunday carb refeed at a 60% carbs 25% fat 15% protein. That was my first time doing it, I will try another Sat/Sun, but I am thinking of cutting it back to Sat only, because Sunday I was feeling very slugish.

Edit: now that I think about it, I may move that to Sunday so my glycogen stores are up for Monday.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  15. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

smb.. is that rep x set or other way around?

"3x8 vs. 3x6"

16. smb is me

smb is me New Member

three sets of 8.
    down to three sets of 6. Or if i'm feeling motivated, i'll go four sets of 6 on shit i can't do three of 8 anymore, just to keep the "load" the same. Seen that recommend one time on here for cut dieting and maintaining mass through strength drops.

17. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

ok that makes sense... bunch of people reverse it for some reason

impressive too being around 170s on under maintenance

18. dread

dread New Member

smb is me: Have you done a carb up and if so was it all from good sources, such as fruit, oat meal, whole grains, etc?

The "shift" is only supposed to take 12 days, then carbing up shouldn't be an issue. According to the book I'm reading you can go 2 days of carbs and not switch out ketosis.

19. smb is me

smb is me New Member

I did one carb up/ refeed day. It was mostly all from good sources, but my fats were kinda high, b/c i also had that same day as a cheat meal (12" long spicy italian sub from subways with light italian dressing.) I hit something like 3100-3200 cals--about 1000 to 1200 over usual, right around 300 carbs (bagel, oatmeal, bread on sub, more oatmeal, milk with shake, 90% quality sources), and too high on fats. It gave me a 1-2 day energy boost, but other than that i felt like it set me back a week or so.

On saturday i'm gonna give it another go, but this time keeping my total cals steady, fats as low as possible, and carbs around 250, and see what happens.

Just for the record, i feel like my body is extremely stubborn about not giving up fat. Also stubborn about not giving up muscle. If i go by any of the online maintenance calorie calculators, they recommend i consume about 300-800 more cals than i am right now for fat loss.(depending on the site) If i eat at that level, i'll gain, despite doing fasted cardio 5 days a week. Thats why i said i feel like i've settled into a routine thats showing visible results, as well as on the scale and calipers, so i'm hesitant to rock the boat. BUT, every low carb diet i have seen preaches carb up days, so I also feel as tho i may be being stupid and doing it wrong.

20. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

waiting that long between refeeds could cause slow your metabolism to slow down but who knows wont know until you try it. i think im gonna start doing a palumbo style carb up and just have one cheat meal a week. carbing up for a full day is just to much for me

21. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

I havent read any of the responses in this thread but...

Your protein choice suck huge donkey ass. You need to get rid of the shitty processed protein sources (hot dogs, pepperoni, sausage, etc) and replace them with clean sources.

Red meat, chicken, homemade turkey burgers, and fish. You can make 3-4 days worth of chicken at a time and I usually keep turkey burgers for 3 days. If you've got a cast iron skillet, you can make a steak for dinner in 10 minutes or less.

22. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

you low carb people are crazy :run:

23. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

i recommend supreme bars. they have sugar alcohols... do those counts towards carbs? :mamoru:

24. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

my low carb day is probably the same as your high carb day

:rofl::rofl:

25. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

I just eat what tastes good though :wiggle:

225g carbs yesterday / under 2500 cals

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.