an mp3 sorting prog/script

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by stillspiraling, Jul 13, 2004.

1. stillspiraling

stillspiraling Would you like some making fuck, BERSERKER

I have an idea to write my own mp3 / file sorting prog. Here's my dilemma - I have a large collection fo mp3s, by large I mean 19k+ :hsugh:, and they are all named like this: e.g. - Dave Matthews Band - 1992-01-05 - 01. Best Of What's Around.

Notice how the track number is tossed into the middle of the filename? This is a real hassle when it comes to winamp playlists as winamp will simply order the songs however the fuck it wants to. They're ordered correctly by windows inside of it's directories and sorting styles, but go completely fux0red whenever I just do 'add folder' in winamp.

This might be reinventing the wheel, but I'm thinking about writing a bash or perl script to completely rename my whole collection so it makes the files like this:
    01. Best Of What's Around - Dave Matthews Band - 1992-01-05

Whaddya think? plausible or a waste of time?

2. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Are all the files named in the same format? If so, you can do it with find and sed. It can be complicated though.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2004
  3. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

By the way, if you want them ordered in album order, you should name them like this:

Band - Album - track # - everything else.mp3

Because if you name them with the track number first, you'll get all the 01s, then all the 02s, etc.