An irreplacable office computer just took a shit.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Aug 16, 2006.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

A year or so ago my company bought another company, and they absolutely sucked at maintaining their equipment. Of the ten or so highly-customized workstations we got from them, only one survives. Or rather, survived.

That last remaining workstation just had a total failure of its RAID controller. I can replace the controller, but the data on the RAID is gone. There is a glimmer of hope: a couple of months ago I had the foresight to create an MSBackup file containing the entire contents of the RAID. The only problem is, the workstation ran on Windows 2000, and Win2000 doesn't have the same easy Automated System Recovery setup that WinXP has. I have no ASR disk, and even if I did have one, the Win2000 install CD doesn't allow me to tell it to rebuild using an ASR disk.

I really need to know how I can take a complete MSBackup file and restore it to the repaired RAID (partitioning and whatnot isn't the issue, restoring the data is the issue), because I've never successfully restored from a Win2000 MSBackup file before.

I've tried reinstalling Win2000 and restoring the backup from within Win2000, but this causes Win2000 to go berserk because protected system files are being replaced. The fresh install of Win2000 never boots again, every single time I've tried it.

How do I do this properly?

2. deusexaethera

God damn it, doesn't anybody ever know the answers to my questions? I know there are other people here who do this stuff for a living.

3. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I'd just like to say that my butt itches, and I could probably use a shower and a glass of water right about now.

4. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

So, let me get this straight. You had an irreplacable computer, which has now gone down, and your latest backup of this irreplacable computer's data is (seemingly) insufficient and several months old.

Let me be the first to say: haw-haw.

5. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

6. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

I'm not sure which backup method you're using, but can you select which files to restore? If so, restore all but system files? Or, install win2k on hard drive, restore everyting to other drive(s), pull out first drive, and boot from restored drives?

7. fr00t

fr00t New Member

Did you back up your System State data?

8. deusexaethera

It's a workstation. All of the data is on a highly-redundant file server. The workstation's software (which was configured by the prior owner, who conveniently doesn't remember how it was built) hasn't changed in a couple of years, except for Windows Updates. So yes, the backup I did a couple of months ago is sufficient. I just need to know how to restore it.

9. deusexaethera

son of a bitch...

why didn't I think of that?

10. deusexaethera

Yes. It's a full backup, the exact same kind that would be called an ASR backup in Windows XP, except that Windows 2000 doesn't have an ASR function. Why, I don't know, but I wish it did have it.

11. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

That's because back then system disasters were unpossible in W2K

12. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

You need to install Win2k and the same patch level at the time of the full backup, restore the full backup and overwrite any files. Reboot when finished.

Profit???

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  13. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I had to restore from tape once when a service pack install fubar'ed WinNT4.0. I fixed it by reinstalling Windows to c:\winnt2, loading the tape backup software, and restoring everything from the the tape including c:\winnnt. Worked great. Just check your boot.ini file before you reboot to make sure it'll boot to the right windows.

14. deusexaethera

How did you tell the Windows installer to install to a different folder than the default?

15. deusexaethera

...or it didn't occur to Microsoft that normal people might need to use the ASR service, and so they didn't bother to make it easy.

16. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Its somewhere in the text mode setup right after your tell it which partition to install to. Maybe its only an option if setup detects and existing \winnt folder on that drive. I'm not sure since I've never tried changing the systemroot on a virgin hard drive. In this case, the existing \winnt was the fubar'ed installation which I overwrote from the tape after installing and booting into \winnt2.