An idea for the new Mustang...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Seeker, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Seeker

Seeker Brofessional OT Supporter

[DISCLAIMER]
    Keep in mind I was an import guy at first. I've since broadened my horizons, and try to see the strengths of all different sports cars. I read all of those British magazines too, especially evo, where they can find enjoyment in driving cars with only 90-something hp, as long as they handle well. So I'm kind of a handling freak.
    [/DISCLAIMER]

I remember hearing about the 94-98 Mustang, and how a cheaper 'GTS' model might be produced. It would basically be a new version of the Fox body LX 5.0. The GTS included the GT's powertrain and running gear, without all of the extras like a spoiler, foglights, etc. All this while remaining cheaper than the regular GT. Unfortunately, it never happened.

My idea for the new Mustang takes the basic concept of the GTS and LX 5.0 a step further. In addition to a GT's powertrain and running gear in what would essentially be a V6 model body, what about a different suspension? This Mustang would not only benefit in the handling department from being lighter(due to less options), but also having a Cobra spec suspension(including IRS).

This model would be more of a track focused car that could do as well on the dragstrip as the GT, and even better on a roadcourse. It could specifically target some of the imports out there, like the 350Z, RX-8, Evo and STi, and probably undercut them all in price(except possibly the RX-8). As for a name, how about the 'GT Club Sport' or something?

2. Gai

Gai New Member

Doubt you'll ever see it. Nice idea though.

3. figment

figment New Member

the GTS mustang was produced 94+ body style. it was never advertised but you could buy them,

4. NeoPaladin

NeoPaladin New Member

I agree, it'd be pretty cool if Ford were to do that... basically a "club racer" version with the V8, but, for example, basic cloth seats, no spoiler, stripped down, etc. Like, for example, with the 'Vette in 1999 and 2000, they had the hard-top, before they ever came out with the Z06. It was the el-cheapo 'Vette, but it was the lightest of all, and the firmest. Cost about $42,000 too, if I remember correctly. It was a sweet car, likely to be very collectible in the future.

As for the 'Stang, it's a cool thought, but not likely. Problem is, the Mustang has become so much of an image car for Ford that they're not likely to want to strip it down some. However, if I were to purchase a GT, I could definately see myself turning it into a track car like that. :)

5. WhiteSSP

WhiteSSP OT Supporter

I'll just say this, I have a 1SC F body, it's basically a stripper 4th gen, and it fucking blows. Manual windows sucks, so do manual doorlocks and all of that other bull. The only thing good is light weight, but at nearly 3400lbs without me, thats relative.

6. WhiteSSP

WhiteSSP OT Supporter

But, from a strictly racing point of view, i agree that it is better. But even taking out all of that, it will never be like the Coupe 5.0, which was ~300lbs lighter than a GT at the time. 50-60lbs isnt as considerable a difference, especially in a 3000+ lb car.

7. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Interesting.

8. Seeker

Thanks for the comments. I figure this is probably the last thing on the minds of Ford product planners. I just thought it would add an interesting twist to the lineup. After all, there'll probably be Bullitt and Mach 1 variants of the Mustang, so why not a special track version? It could offer the Cobra's improved handling, but the GT's power at a lower price.

My idea revolved around keeping the car cheap to implement. Basically, just leave out some equipment, and the only real extra cost would come from suspension upgrades. If Ford wanted to seriously do this, they could go a step further and use additional bracing(SVT strut bars?), forged wheels, better tires, thinner glass, etc. But all that costs more. :dunno:

9. you know me

you know me OT where the douchbags play

Ford made the GTS in 94 I know and 95 I think.

10. slowbird

slowbird I am the son, and the heir, of a shyness that is c OT Supporter

I want to see a notchback version of the new Mustang :o in for photochop :x:

11. slowbird

slowbird I am the son, and the heir, of a shyness that is c OT Supporter

:eek3: I remember the GTS tag being tossed around and I was like :wtf: there was no GTS fools, guess I was wrong :uh: :o I'm so uneducated :wtc:

12. you know me

My freind wanted go buy one the the dealer fucked him over.

13. GA400

GA400 New Member

Until next year that suspension won't even be available for the Cobra. It would be real nice to be able to get that suspension on the V-6 tho. Considering where the price of gas has been going I would rather have a V6 with a better suspension than the GT.

14. Hobie1

Hobie1 No longer self-employed & now hating life

GTS was made and 05 is IRS

15. Seeker

Yeah, even the V6 will be pretty nice. Long gone are the days of 160-something hp V6 Mustangs.

The '05 GT has IRS? :eek3:

16. Hobie1

I know what a B4C is and 1LE, but what's a 1SC, how is it different from the aformentioned models???

17. you know me

what in the blue fuck are you talking about?

18. GA400

GA400 New Member

No it isn't. IRS is only going to be on the Cobra. I've already seen a GT here in Atlanta and it was a solid rear axle.

19. figment

figment New Member

05 is a solid axle, all new 3 link. IRS will only be on a cobra

20. Seeker

That's what I thought. I figured the solid axle was used to keep costs down. I remember some people said that it was because GT drivers liked to drag race more. Yeah right. :rolleyes:

21. Hobie1

No IRS, I forgot that didn't make it in the GT

22. GA400

GA400 New Member

Well a solid axle is preferable for drag racing because its cheaper to replace and more robust, but that doesn't stop ricers from dragging their uber-turbos front-drive pocket monsters.

Cost is the real reason.

23. figment

figment New Member

ford asked mustang owners what they like better, and most said solid axle.

24. Hobie1

GTS was available in 94, 95, & 96 - V8 with no spoiler, power, leather, GT seats, leather wrapped wheel, etc. but most could be added on.

The 05 Mustang Chassis (S197) which is similar to the Lincoln LS was originally going to be all IRS, but that idea was scrapped for the GT and V6, I forgot...

25. Hobie1

With panhard bar, about time...