An example of bad Apple software: iTunes

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GunboatDiplomat, Sep 26, 2006.

1. GunboatDiplomat

GunboatDiplomat New Member

Can someone explain to me how to create a new playlist on my iPod using iTunes 7?
    Before you answer, I suggest that you actually try it, yourself. I think you will be surprised...

2. samm

samm Next in Line

1. dock ipod
    2. wait for iTunes to open
    3. click on your iPod in the left pane
    4. click on the plus button in lower left to make new playlist

alternatively, if you have your entire library synced to your ipod:
    1. create a new playlist
    2. dock ipod

I just tried both of these with my 4g 1st gen nano, and my wife's 4gb 2nd gen mini. Where did you go wrong?

3. GunboatDiplomat

I didn't go wrong, iTunes did!

When I followed your instructions, a new playlist was added to my iTunes library, instead of my iPod library. Why is that?

If this isn't happening for you then something must be different. What version of iTunes are you using? As stated in my original post, I'm using version 7. Are you running on a Mac or Windows? I'm a Windows user so perhaps the difference is there. I doubt it makes a difference but I'm also using the new 8GB nano.

Seriously, iTunes really sucks...

4. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Can't you just synch with the ipod now and your new playlist will be added to the ipod. I don't have an ipod so I dunno what I'm talking about....but this is the way I do it on my creative zen micro and my windows PC (that is when I create a playlist which is never. :) )

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I don't have my Ipod in front of me to try it, but when the Ipod is docked, you should be able to right-click on the Ipod name and there should be an option to create a playlist. Give it a name and drag and drop the music into it. I'm running version 7 on Windows.

It's not that hard.

Also, there should be plenty of info on the Apple site or help menus in Itunes to get you through it...

6. GunboatDiplomat

No, it isn't... Which is why this pisses me off so much!

When I do exactly as you describe, iTunes creates a playlist in the main library instead of in the iPod, like one would expect! Seriously! Are you sure you've done this with the current software?

You still think I'm just misunderstanding something?

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Yes, IIRC I have done this with version 7.

I'll go outside and get my Ipod and try it in a little bit and let you know.

8. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Ok, I just got my Ipod and made a playlist.

I did exactly as I described in my last post. I right clicked on my Ipod under devices, selected new playlist, gave it a name and dragged and dropped a few songs into it.

I'm not sure why you are having issues...

9. EvanD

EvanD Active Member

An example of bad Apple software: Itunes

Thread should have ended here.

10. frozenhubcap

frozenhubcap New Member

drag and drop the playlist to your ipod.

11. samm

samm Next in Line

I am using iTunes 7 on my Mac mini running Mac OS X. My guess is your problem lies with Windows.

12. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Read the manual. In this case, it's an online manual.

13. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

In the case of operator error, they always blame the software. That's why developers hate users. They knee-jerk react and call what you worked on a peice of shit, and then it turns out they did not read the instructions.

14. GunboatDiplomat

This is my current work-around. The problem is that iTunes won't allow me to drag-and-drop an empty playlist into my iPod. What this means is that I must add, at least, a token song into the playlist, drag it into my iPod, delete the token song, and then fill the playlist with the desired songs. An annoying work-around, to be sure...

Now, I can understand everyone's skepticism. I tried this on an Apple computer at work and it appears that iTunes 7 works fine in this regard. However, I'm double checking on my Windows machine right now and, indeed, I'm still finding this egregious error. I assure you, this is not operator error, the software is not working. It's perfectly fair to call software that doesn't work a "piece of shit" and no software developer has any cause to hate this user.

Now, another thing that I just noticed now is that whenever I plug in my iPod, iTunes keeps asking me to "Set Up Your iPod." The problem I have with this is that the first time it did this, I pressed the "OK" button and presumably "set up" my iPod. Afterwards, I filled it with songs and playlists (and consequently discovered this strange deficiency of iTunes) and then removed the iPod by ejecting it through iTunes, as one might expect I should.

So, why does it continue to bring up this "Set Up Your iPod" dialog every time I insert my iPod? I'm afraid to say "OK" again because I fear it might do something tragic like reformat my iPod and lose all my data. It was a pain to fill it with songs.

Does any of this shed any light on the matter?

15. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

I would hope you meant the Windows version of iTunes...

16. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Well, at least you are able to get the playlist on there even though it takes a few more clicks.

17. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

iTunes 7 (at least for windows) seems to lock your playlists on the iPod to your iTunes playlists. You can create a playlist in your music collection then tell the iPod to sync it. There doesn't seem to be any way to create a playlist on the iPod device itself. This would appear to be "by design".

Don't know why you get the Setup screen each time. I only got it once when I plugged in my iPod for the first time.

Edit: My bad. You have to check the Manually Manage Music box on the Summary tab of your iPod (in iTunes). When you do that it adds the "Create new playlist" option to the context menu when you right-click on the iPod. It also allows you to edit the playlists under the iPod instead of making you sync them from your library.

Edit edit: This also forces you to have to "eject" your iPod when you disconnect it.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2006
  18. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The real fault lies with the user interface designer. Coders don't know how to make good GUIs for their software, because they don't approach the software with the mentality of a user; they already know how it works on the inside, so they make the GUI reflect that directly instead of making an intuitive GUI that "translates" between the user and the software.

Normally Apple is pretty good about this; I guess they missed a spot when they were polishing iTunes.

19. GunboatDiplomat

Well, I fixed my playlist problem!

I tried to run some of my iTunes COM scripts only to have them fail for no good reason. I did a search and found that this should really be impossible and the general consensus is that if they aren't working then you should just reinstall because something obviously went horribly wrong.

So, I reinstalled iTunes and now my scripts work just fine...

...as do my iPod playlists. I can't tell you why this bug happened but I do assure you that it was happening...

20. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

Sounds like bad Microsoft software to me