An article every basher here needs to read...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by milani, Jul 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. milani

milani "The best activities for your health are pumping a

2. AznRyda

AznRyda キモかわいい!

Good article.

3. mmmBoss

mmmBoss OT Supporter

4. AznRyda

AznRyda キモかわいい!

He might have transferred schools. it starts over.

5. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

everyone should read Under The Bar, it's really a great book. Makes you think about a lot of things differently.

6. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

yeah, he transferred schools and took classes over.

7. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

i have special needs kids at my house, have for 13 years. One of them is the sweetest little boy I have ever met. He cant run well or do physical activites as well as the other kids but hes a genius, esp in math. He converses with me like an adult and i have no doubt he will one day become the athete he wants to be. I see him down sometimes but always remind him he is special, hes smarter then other children thats why hes in those classes. Sometimes reverting the situation to him in another light helps move him along. He plays with my 10month old daughter like its his sister, very sweet little kid.

8. JP®

JP® New Member

My finacee was a special needs teacher in North Carolina for 3 years.

She's great with my son, who is ADHD....

9. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

:cool:

10. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

worst typo of fiance ever

11. JP®

JP® New Member

Whatever.......

12. AznRyda

AznRyda キモかわいい!

You adopt kids?

13. Nitromike

Nitromike Abused cabbage patch kid

I do battle with my kids teachers all the time .. my daughter is dyslexic and my son has ADHD

daughter now reads above grade level where with the schools bullshit "special class" for her she was reading 2 grades below .. all it took? A lot of time working with her every night. Son, they wanted him medicated, he's been off his meds for almost 2 years now and his grades and behavior are steadily improving. All that took was a long talk with my mom and dad to find out how they worked with me since I have it also .. never in my life medicated though.

All in all .. screw the new school system and how they want to treat our kids.

Anyone else with a grade school child have to deal with the "community school supplies" bullshit?

14. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

daycare, motherinlaws

15. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

no medication, but are you supplementing him with stuff like dha, efa's, magnesium, etc? or checked out the feingold diet? a lot of women with adhd kids when I worked at the vitamin shoppe who didn't want to medicate used things like this

16. Nitromike

Nitromike Abused cabbage patch kid

we're using EFA's and magnesium, both are helping. I'm gonna have to check out the feingold diet. Thanks

17. milani

milani "The best activities for your health are pumping a

All of the under the bar articles seem to flow like that. He tells a story, then slams you with the point....

Anyway,

I was one of those kids, so I can relate. I passed standardized tests in the 90-ish percentile when I was young, but I had "ADD". I had the attention span of a piece of rock salt. It seemed like everything was boring, so I lost interest... It took alot, but I finally realized that there was more to it than I was putting in, and got my shit together...

18. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

i'm sure some principal's are complete dicks about labeling kids as special needs, but you've also got to take into account that there was obviously somesort of learning disability and the child wasn't doing well.

you can either a. keep him where he isnt doing well b. try to get him the extra help he needs or c. i dont have a c..

principals aren't always the devil, they're there for a reason. yes labeling him as learning disabled or whatever might have been a crutch, but what is the principal supposed to do. sit by and say "nah, he's fine. he's failing all his classes, he's just fine". or try to help the kid in the only way he can and get critisized for it? he's fucked either way.

19. Zoomba

Zoomba New Member

Sometimes it's not even the principals that are saying this stuff, it is the medical staff that are looking at you.

When I was born, the cord was wrapped around my neck three or four times. I don't know if this is relevant, but it might be.

I went through life, going through occupational therapy, through speech therapy, special classes on stuttering, etc., not knowing why I was going through this, but went through it anyway. I found out a few years ago that my parents had been told that I would never be able to ride a bike, drive a car, play a musical instrument, and had computers been more in use then, probably never use one of them either. The reason being is that I did not have and probably would never have the proper co-ordination to do this.

Well, I proved them wrong!

I have done all the things that they said I wouldn't be able to do. I can't run worth shit, and I still look like a fat blob of shit because I can't seem to get my ass to the gym all the time (I'm constantly low on energy and a 30 min bus ride is not encouraging). I still have problems stuttering ocassionally, and math is still very hard for me to grasp. But, it's still better than what my life would have been if my parents had done nothing when they heard the news.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.