amplifying Bose car stereo?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by /|mused3ystander, Apr 15, 2002.

1. I have a Bose stereo in my RSX. It's not that great and I want to improve the sound without changing the head unit. I don't want my car to become a target for thieves, plus I want to keep the 6-disc in-dash changer.

Having said that, can you hook up a 4-channel amp to the Bose HU and run aftermarket speakers?

2. trez157

trez157 You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand

Yes, you can hook up an amp, you just need to get an RCA adapter to switch from wire to rca plugs. I amped my stock unit on my teg b4 I upgraded the deck and it sounded fine.

3. sablehonda

sablehonda Guest

Did you do the RSX Bose woofer fix? (swapping the yellow and purple wires in the woofer's amp)

That helps a bit.

4. Yeah I did, it made a noticeable difference but the volume level of the system is crap.

5. Acurapimp

Acurapimp Guest

you know what they say no highs, no lows, it blows, must be bose! I recomend pulling that whole system out and put a real one in . btw bose doesnt u sub woofers they use a bass module. Their home units blow also.

6. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Bose can suck my cock! Audiophile my ass.

7. 04

04 Guest

:rofl: Anyways, adding an aftermarket system to the Bose might not be such a good idea, because I bet the Bose system has equilizers built into it, and they are going to probably make your new speakers sound not so good unless you add an equilizer, and thats more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

8. Hpower281

Hpower281 Guest

dayam bose

u cant add onto any Bose car stereo system. all speakers are 1 ohm speakers. all speakers have their own amp. If you replace the speakers, you must replace the head unit. And vise versa. So if you want a better system, you gotta trash the whole thing.

9. blueghost75

blueghost75 Guest

u cant add onto any Bose car stereo system. all speakers are 1 ohm speakers. all speakers have their own amp. If you replace the speakers, you must replace the head unit. And vise versa. So if you want a better system, you gotta trash the whole thing.

that is incorrect, you can use the headunit, you just have to have your own amp and speakers. You are right in that you cannot just replace the speakers though. You have to do speakers and an amp. But you CAN use the stock headunit....

10. Hpower281

Hpower281 Guest

whats the point in using that head unit if its not going to power anything.

Your system is only as good as your head unit. Stock units hold back performance.

I've worked in car stereo....trust me, you either use all of the bose or none of it. Less headache, less complication.

just my $.02

11. ok, I blew out one of the Bose amps over the weekend trying to fuck around and add a subwoofer...aftermarket time :o

12. Hpower281

Hpower281 Guest

yay! Boston's in the doors and rear panels. JL w6 in the trunk with PPI, Zapco, MTX, or JL sub amp pushing it.

just my $.02