Amplifier design debate

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TenSteel, Feb 24, 2003.

1. TenSteel

TenSteel Ted Cruz suicide hotline OT Supporter

I've been reading up on some of Decware's amplifiers, and they have a very different design philosophy-- all of their tube amps only produce a few watts of power (the most is about 12 per channel RMS), and all of their amps and preamps are direct, point-to-point wired with no circuit boards. Am I correct in thinking that a point-to-point design for an amp or preamp would bring an extremely high degree of clarity compared to many IC (integrated circuit) designs?

Here's the website in case anyone cares http://www.decware.com/menu1.shtml

2. Nickos

Nickos Active Member

my old mcintosh mc275 was point to point wiring and if i remember correctly it was a 75X2 with 4 kt88 tubes.. i dont really remember though, i had it so long ago and it was a hunk of shit to start off with so i got rid of it real quick

3. 04

04 Guest

I find it odd that they would say that the point to point would offer better reliability. Circuit boards are machine made, and the chance of error would be lower. A circuit board would be a lot nicer and neater too.

The amplifier I built uses point to point wiring and its a mess. I would have certainly used a circuit board if I could have.

Also, there is a difference between using a point to point wiring scheme and using an IC. The ic can infact be wired point to point, as mine is. You can use a circuit board for any design; be it tubes, transistors or IC's. Same thing with point to point.

And you know my views on the clarity differences. ;)