Amperes difference...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by astro1, Aug 30, 2005.

1. astro1

astro1 New Member

Will a difference of 0.26A between what an adapters power is and what the laptop is supposed to use cause any damage?

The output of the adapter is 0.26A greater than what it says on the bottom of the laptop.

2. ACA

ACA Sometimes I feel lonely at night OT Supporter

You should be fine so long as the adapter puts out the required voltage (no more and no less), and can supply at least the required amount of amperage. Any more will not hurt it.

Think of the amperage on an adaptor as potential amperage. It has the potential to put out 1 amp, but will work on devices that only need half an amp.

Short answer: Yes, so long as it puts out the rated voltage.

3. astro1

astro1 New Member

The voltage is the same so... I hope you're right! =P

4. astro1

astro1 New Member

Any other opinions on this before I plug it in? Not that I doubt ACA's intelligence but I just want to make sure. =P

5. BoardTracker

BoardTracker BoardTracker Kicks A$$

ACA is right (to a degree). IF the difference is small as you indicate, feel free to plug it in. One last thing you should take a look at is the polarization of the power supply though. Is it "Negative -) positive" or "Positive -) negative". Usually its standard, but since you clearly picked up the power supply from a different source, just look for compatibility in the +/- drawing on the laptop and power supply.

6. astro1

astro1 New Member

I can't find a polarity picture on the laptop. It is a LITEON adapter and most Acer Laptops use them I believe. The adapter shows (-)-(o-(+)

EDIT: I decided to take a chance and plug it in... It hasn't blown up yet. :hs:

7. BoardTracker

BoardTracker BoardTracker Kicks A$$

[-]-(-[+] is the default. its ok.

8. astro1

astro1 New Member

Ok thanks for your help guys, it's not yet burst into flames so it should be ok... I hope...