Amp reccomendation

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Biomechanoid, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

I currently have a 4 channel, 75watts per, eclipse amplifier with a built in HP/LP adjustable from 20Hz to 500Hz (with 24Db/octave) and adjustable impedance (.5v to 1.5v)

this was working like a dream until it overheated and now the amplifier overheats at low levels (at a setting of 15 out of 50 on my head unit), turns off whenever I turn the volume up past 1/2 way, and is causing fluxuations in my car's voltage (discovered this by disconnecting the amp and all my problems went away)

it's obviously time for a new amp, but I LOVE the features on the eclipse.

is there a RELIABLE, amplifier that is say, 4 channel, 100watts per, has an adjustable HP/LP that will let me set the high pass at about 300, and doesn't overheat during the summer? an adjustable impedance is an added bonus

I'm looking at a price range right now of $300 to $500 for something that is garaunteed not to fuck up.

any suggestions?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2003
  2. 04

04 Guest

When you say "adjustable impedence" are you sure you dont mean adjustable input sensitivity (ie: gain control)?

How about a http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/USAUSX4085

The only problem is that it has 15 wpc less than you want, but thats only a .7dB difference in sound at most.

With all the extra money you have, you could buy a full featured xover that will crossover at 24dB an octave.

3. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

holy shit; that's almost EXACTLY what I'm looking for.

I'm wondering about speakers now though

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/INFKAPPA605CS
    Vs
    http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/INFPERFECT61

is the price difference really worth it?

4. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

you read my mind, and they underrate their amps a little.

5. 04

04 Guest

Well it depends on you. I personally would go with the Kappa's but that's just me. In my opinion, unless you are a super-critical listener, it is not worth spending the extra money on the perfect's. Even then, the sound quality goes out the window unless you have the car parked without the engine on.

6. GSteg

GSteg Member

the US acoustic amps has a high/low pass from 20hz to 200hz. not sure why you would need it all the way up to 600hz.

7. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

typo on the numeric. should have been 300hz