amp question...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by JohnAG, Jul 1, 2007.

1. JohnAG

JohnAG OT Supporter

Ok, so as a temporary amp I have a kenwood 9152d mono amp. For some reason it has two imputs for speakers, I thought monos only had one? You can see it kind of in this picture...

[​IMG]

I have a dual 4 ohm sub wired to 2 ohms, using the first positive and the first negative, is this right? Also I was told that bridging it like that would drop the impedance to 1 ohm?

One more question, for some reason I have to turn the gain like 3/4 the way up before I start seeing any power from it, and it's not clipping. This doesn't make sense to me, as I have a pioneer premier 680mp that's supposed to be giving me 4 volt preouts, and the Nine2 I'm using for components is good to go at like 1/3 gain level... Is this kenwood just a crappy amp?

2. rebs

rebs shares AIDS OT Supporter

sometimes mono amps have 2 outputs, they just dont play stereo. I would try running that woofer to the furthest + and furthest -.. thats USUALY how they connect. (not the case for zapco :o )

3. Zz_3.14_zZ

Zz_3.14_zZ New Member

The best thing to do is send that thing to me.

Ok, im kidding. But like The Rebs said, + on one side and - on the other and that will put you in mono. I used to think (not sure where I got this info) that it was always Right + and Left - was the 'combo' for bridging an amp. But thats not the case on my Fosgate. Left and Right +. Left Phase Switch set to 0° Right Phase Switch set to 180. Also, dont forget to set the gain on both left and right the same. :noes:

4. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Amps may have stereo input, good amps will fuse the signals to make a single signal for hte mono, otherwise they just short the right signal and use the left. :)

In otherwords, the right one is just there because most RCA cables come in pairs and if you didnt have something to plug the other one into it would just be sitting there.

5. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

unless you're talking about the lego looking jbl amps, that needed signal in all 4 inputs... of their monoblocks.:o

6. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

or mtx... the only mtx amps we RAed, were monoblocks that people "bridged"... instead of just using the left side.

7. ronman84

ronman84 New Member

I've seen lots of problems with those amps and have had a bunch of them returned, you'll be fine just as long as you hook up one + and one - . both hook ups are connected to the same output, i hate kenwood amps personally... just my 2 cents