Amp Kits

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by pop, Nov 21, 2004.

1. pop

pop New Member

what brand amp kit can i get for cheap but still keep the good quality, preferablely 8 gauge

2. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

knukonceptz.com

/thread

3. DaddyThirdLeg

DaddyThirdLeg SMASH puny humans

wire is wire, go to walmart and get a cheap kit, just don't use their rca's

4. pop

pop New Member

where should i purchase the RCAs and what are the top brands?

5. Elderain

Elderain New Member

well damn, thats just a nice site. I have a good idea where I'm gonna get my wiring at :)

6. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Its the only brand of wire I use.:bigthumb:

The great part about knukonceptz is you can use their RCAs. They also come with a bit more wire than the Walmart kits.:)

7. 04

04 Guest

8. DaddyThirdLeg

i wonder what thier shipping prices to canada are like, i'm too tired to set up an account to find out

9. Elderain

Elderain New Member

Shipping prices for the US were set prices depending on your order total, and they seemed reasonable.

10. zippo[m]

zippo[m] New Member

home depot

11. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

If you're a masochist. Its idiotic to try and bend that wire. At least get welding cable if youre gonna be a cheap bastard rather than inwall building wiring.

And welding cable isnt a whole lot cheaper than what Knukonceptz has to offer.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

wire is NOT wire... thread count matters.... knuconceptz is good for the money.

13. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

weldingsupply.com is the cheapest ive found for just wire.

go to walmart or ebay they have good cheap kits

14. DaddyThirdLeg

proof? i mean i'm sure there would be a difference between solid core and knuconcepts, but between walmart and knuconcepts, even if you could measure it, it would be neglegable

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it's measurable, and the longer the run, the bigger the diff. Prolly a 0.5V drop across the line to your trunk. It won't kill you, but a drop in voltage means a less efficient system, and greater heat buildup.

16. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

the insulation isnt that great on the walmart kits either.

17. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

no, strand count does not matter in regards to conductivity since all wire of a given gauge has the same cross sectional area. Strand count only matters in regards to flexibility.

18. 04

04 Guest

:werd:

And the low strand count wire of a given gauge wire will be THINNER than a higher strand count wire. Look at a 12awg romex solid wire and compare that to a 12awg stranded speaker wire. The speaker wire's thicker.

And some will claim that the skin effect is better on wire with high strand count, since there is more surface area for the current to travel on. Except the problem with that reasoning is that the current in this case is DC, and even if it changes amplitude quickly, wont be affected by the skin depth of the wire.

For DC power distribution systems, a 2awg highly stranded wire should perform identically to a 2awg low strand count wire, all other factors equal.

19. 04

04 Guest

Do you have any evidence to back up that .5v? That will depend on the length of the wire. And like XR250rdr said, a certain gauge of wire will have the same resistivity per foot, regardless of if it's stranded or not. So, how does that happen?

How do you figure LESS voltage will mean greater heat build up. P = V^2 / R . For a given load resistance, if you decrease the voltager, you decrease the power. If you decrease the power, you decrease the current flow. Less current flow means less heat in your amplifier.

Or are you talking about the wire itself heating up? .5v loss in a wire wont account for that much heat build up though anyways.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2004
  20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I was talking about voltage drop due to resistance in the wiring leading to heat buildup on the wire -- not the amp.

Length is about 15ft, which isn't uncommon for a front-battery rear-amp setup.

21. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

I understood what you meant. And you're still incorrect. Voltage drop over a given length will vary between wire gauges maybe, but wont between two wires of the same gauge.

22. bob-dc2

bob-dc2 Expanse

skin effect is bad, not good.

thats why even monster cable has speaker cables with higher guage wire wound among smaller wire.

read up on skin effect @ www.audioquest.com

23. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Too bad skin effect is completely a moot point with DC and virtually a non issue with all audio frequencies.

24. 04

04 Guest

Who claimed that the skin effect is good?

Unless you use your monster cables as radio frequency transmission lines, complaining about power loss due to the skin effect doesnt make any sense.

The audioquest paper CLAIMS that the skin effect is a problem in the audio band of 20hz to 20khz, but they dont give any evidence of why that is. I see no evidence that shows that the skin effect changes any audible characteristic of the cable. There is a difference between what we can measure and what we can hear.

And like XR250rdr said, that has nothing to do with DC power transfer cables....

25. bob-dc2

bob-dc2 Expanse

I was just posting to what 04 said about skin effect.
    go listen to a solid core wire, or 4-5 conductors per run versus a monster cable with a million strands.

i dont want to argue cause its pretty stupid unless you just go compare them on a system.
    the proof audio quest has, is that there cables sound really good, or in other words their cables take less sound quality away when it needs to get transfered from one component to another.