amp in protec mode

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Audiophile, May 9, 2003.

1. Audiophile

Audiophile boom boom

whenever i turn the volume up pretty loud with the gain and sub level set fairly high, my amp will go into protec mode. the amp is a lanzar 1200d powering a 12" Brahma @ 1ohm. sending it 1200rms. if i let the car sit and idle for awhile with a little music playing, i can play it loud then for as long as i want. but if i hop in the car and blast it right away, the amp goes into protec. battery voltage reads 13.8 at battery and all the way back at the amp. i read the amperage going into the fuse under the hood and it read a mear 8 amp!!!! that came as a huge suprise to me. i thought it would be a lot higher, and i think it should be a lot higher. another problem is that my batteries ground is shady. there is a half covered ~8awg wire grounding the battery to the motor, and 2 smaller (~6 awg) wires grounding it to the frame. the 8 gauge wire seems to be rusted and its not covered, bare wire. my alternator is a stock 90A and seems to be working fine, im not sure if its large enough. jeeps4u sold me this amp, he ran it at 1 ohm and had no problems. it is 1 ohm stable.

why is the amp going into protec mode?????

2. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

?

I bet it's the amp. I told you not to run it at 1 ohm in that car's shitty electrical system.

3. Audiophile

Audiophile boom boom

i think part of the problem is the battery grounding. the ~8 gauge wiring grounded to the motor is for the motors electrical system and shit, while the two smaller ~6's are for lights etc... leaving the amp with about 10 - 12 gauge to ground with from the battery, which is shitty, that amp needs 4 guage. so im going to add another 4 gauge ground to the battery and see if that helps.

4. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

he is running a 1200 watt amp at 1 ohm on an 18AWG wire
    on a 8 amp fuse...at one fuggin ohm

get some decent power equiptment

5. doubleb23

doubleb23 Ooooo

:confused: where the hell did you get that from.

1.im running 4 gauge powere wire.
    2. 80A fuse.

i said the fuse read 8A and that an 18 gauge wire could even carry that amount of current, but i might as well have that.

i need to find out why the fuse only reads 8A, i think its because my alternator is sucking, and cant keep up.

EDIT: shit, this is Audiophile, i forgot to log out at doubleb23's house