amp help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by alkalinetri3o, Jul 6, 2004.

1. alkalinetri3o

alkalinetri3o New Member

hey i was wondering if i can get some help in picking out an amp. im getting a infinity perfect 10.1d. im thinking of getting the Sony XM-DS1300P5 amp but i thought id get your opinoin on it first. i was reading how the frequency on the sub goes down to 18 hertz and the amp plays down to only 40. is there a noticeable difference in that. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated im looking to spend no more then 200 on the amp. other info: the amps going in a sealed box, i listen to mostly rock and metal if it helps. and one final question do you think the sub would sound better in the trunk or behind a front seat in a coupe? thanks!

2. Scott P

Scott P I are lurking through. . .

get either a memphis 500d or 1000d depending on what voice coil configuration the sub is

3. 04

04 Guest

The amplifier may be only rated to go to 40hz (not sure why that is) but most likely its real limits are somewhere in the 10hz or lower range. Perhaps you were reading the lowest crossover setting by accident instead?

And the response of your subwoofer will depend on several variables. It could end up going below 18hz in a car.

As for the sound, you will just have to play around with it to see which location you like better.

4. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

Last edited: Jul 6, 2004
  5. DaddyThirdLeg

DaddyThirdLeg SMASH puny humans

6. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

bah wrong link, fixed it.

7. alkalinetri3o

alkalinetri3o New Member

hey thanks for all the help so far, i was reading on car domain that they recommend the jbl gto300.1, what do u think of that one and where can i find it online for a decent price, not a lot of people carry jbl amps. also im still a little questionable of the overall quality(SQ, performance, etc...) of the Sony XM-DS1300P5 amp. thanks again

8. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

i was totally gona suggest that too :) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18797&item=5707078666&rd=1 I used to have a bp1200.1 and it put out a ton of power and was worth every penny. As long as the quality hasent changed to the new models u have nothing to worry about. And u wont notice a difference in sound quality between a JBL and an MTX amp or something...

9. alkalinetri3o

alkalinetri3o New Member

alright well i got the jbl amp from the link. thanks for all your help and i'll tell you all how it sounds when i get it all in.

10. DaddyThirdLeg

11. alkalinetri3o

alkalinetri3o New Member

well im only running one so it should be enough and its only 50 under the recommended so its shouldnt be to bad, and plus i heard the amp is underrated

Last edited: Jul 7, 2004
  12. DaddyThirdLeg

the sub is underrated as well, I hear the optimum for the sub is 700-800 watts

13. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

700-800 watts?? are u sure about that, from what i know the infinity subs are very fragile and shouldnt be sent more than the rms power rating.

14. alkalinetri3o

alkalinetri3o New Member

the sub is underrated as well, I hear the optimum for the sub is 700-800 watts

can any one back either of these up with either knowledge or experience?

15. DaddyThirdLeg

16. 04

04 Guest

You can put as large or small amplifier on the subwoofer as you want. It can work fine (although your max output can be limited) in any of these situations as long as you are smart with the volume control. You could even put an amplifier rated 4 times as much as the maximum rating on the woofer with no problems, provided you dont crank it up too loud for too long.

IMO matching the power rating of the woofer with the amplifier is not necessary. Its often a useful rough estimate, but dont think that you have to match the numbers up for 'optimal' performance.