Amp for 12" Shiva?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by OOTSABryan, May 5, 2003.

1. OOTSABryan

OOTSABryan New Member

I think i'm going to purchase the 12" Shiva and put it into a 1.25 cubic foot sealed box. This is going into a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Is the JLAudio 500/1 overkill for this sub? Cause with the sub has dual 8ohm and i hook it up in parallel that will give me 500 rms @ 4 ohms with that amp.

Also how does this amp have the same output whether its at 1.5 ohms - 4 ohms?

I can get this amp for $400, which is the most i really wanted to spend on an amp. Is there anything that'll do a similiar job that costs less?

Thanks.

2. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

Seriously 4bills is a rip off for that JL Amp. I installed a RE XXX 12" w/JBL 1200.1 did low 150db with no tuning.

Mr. Gotsnoboost Buy a modded JBL amp from IKESOUND $275 shipped to your door.

3. OOTSABryan

OOTSABryan New Member

Hmmm thanks guys.....I've just heard bad things about JBL amps in the past....are they better now? I'm especially worried about heat because it will be under a false floor in an SUV....

4. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

I've installed many of the BP Series amps 80.2 80.4 1200.1 etc.....Never had a promblem with them I know for a fact that the 1200.1 makes nearly no heat it's Class D :)

5. Mitts WaQ

Mitts WaQ New Member

I was going to say the same thing. That box is pretty small for a shiva. I have mine in a 1.8cf enclosure after displacement, with about a pound of polyfill. I like htis MUCH better than the 1.2 witht he same amount of polyfill i had before. You wont be dissapointed witht his sub. I also have a jbl 600.1 running this one sub. You dont need more than 300 watts to get the sub to full excursion in a bigger box. so the 600.1 is jsut fine.

6. surfzup2k

surfzup2k Guest

Well JBL amps aren't really that bad. My friend has a 1200.1 going to 2 15w3's and they sound very good and hit hard. However, you can not go wrong with that JL amp. I have a JL 1000/1 and it is the best amp i have ever owned. It produces very clean power. I would agree that they are a little bit more expensive, but you definately get what you pay for. The JL is what i would consider a higher quality amp so you will have to pay more for these brands (Zapco, Xtant, JL, ect...)

7. anomaly

anomaly If you weren't around for the original HA.net spli

Id suggest a JBL 600.1, a 1200.1 to a single will destroy it quickly. The best results i've heard/seen with a shiva are ~1.8-2.2cf sealed, and abit bigger ported depending on tune frequency.

8. johnson

johnson New Member

Bump.

Since the 600.1 is discontinued now, what else is good for the Shiva?

9. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

A BP600.1(or its replacement- GTO601.1) on a single shiva would be good. They dont need more than 3-400W in most boxes.

10. denim

denim New Member

you can find kicker KX350.2s on ebay for very cheap now, great choice IMO

11. johnson

johnson New Member

Fawk, on one has the Shiva in stock.

12. percent

percent deluded

I have an Orion XTREME300 amp i was using to push a 12" orion that sounded great. Its collecting dust, but ill let it go for $150 shipped if you want it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are a few scratches (and dust) on it that you can see in the pics.

13. johnson

johnson New Member

It was installed on the enclosure?

14. ImDrunkAgain

ImDrunkAgain Resident Mental Health Counselor

Im currently running 2 Shivas in a slot-ported box tuned to 35hz, custom fit in my Lumina and Im powering them with a Hifonics BX1500D and I must say that it is NIIIICE! no matter what they say about Hifonics amps, they're awesome