Amounts Of Products To Use?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Incognito, Jul 15, 2003.

1. Incognito

Incognito New Member

Jun 17, 2003

Hi All
    I'm new to this whole concept, as i've never really had much to do with polishing/waxing cars before. I have had 2 cars over the last 3 years, and on both of them, the paint wasn't in fabulous condition, so i didn't bother doing anything more than washing them every 2 weeks or so. I lost my job recently, and to keep money coming in, i've taken to washing/vacuuming a couple of cars here and there, and found that i thoroughly enjoy making someone elses car shine, (seeing as i can't make my own car shine) and thought about doing detailing as a hobby and as a source of a bit of income whilst going to Uni. I've read this entire section of the forum from start to finish, trying to lap up a fair bit of information, as well as reading other sites about detailing. However, so far, most of what i have learned is theory, as i dont really have a car to practise on. I've made up a list of products that i think i will need, and went down to my local stockists and researched their prices, so i know that there is a rather large initial outlay of money to purchase the stuff needed.
    I was wondering if anyone has any pointers of a good way to start out, to get clients coming in, what should i look out for as a newbie to detailing etc. I know when i first start out i am not going to be able to do work half as good as some of you people on these forums, but i am willing to put the effort in and learn, so i hope that someday i will be able to make cars shine like you guys and girls do :)

Also, as per the subject of this thread... i've read in a couple of threads that a drop of polish or wax should be able to do an entire bonnet... i just tried this on my car (the one with the better paint) and it only seemed to cover about a 1/4 of the bonnet before i ran out of polish on the applicator... so, i guess my question is... how much should i use?
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2003