Amount of time away from gym because of surgery

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Zoomba, Nov 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoomba

Zoomba New Member

I just got told today that I have gallstones (more than likely caused by stuff I did before I moved out of my parent's house as I have been having pain episodes since I moved out of there) and that I should have my gallbladder removed as a preventitive measure just in case a stone gets lodged in the bile duct.

I am hoping that it can be done laproscopically (outpatient basis) and since I don't have any external scarring in the area that the work needs to be done in, it shouldn't be a problem. I know that standard gallbladder surgery (non-laproscopically) takes between 4 to 6 weeks to heal fully.

Anyone here have experience with this procedure and how long I would be out of the gym for? I try and go as often as possible, I was up to doing weights 5x a week and cardio an additional 2-3x (sometimes working out twice in one day), but then I got sick or fairly busy with school-work and haven't been able to go for a while.

Can someone provide me with some guidance?

2. ZeroSkillet

ZeroSkillet Matt Hughes > *

Hope you recover fast nukka

3. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

First of all, weights 5x a week and cardio 3x sounds like way too much.

If your doc said 4-6 weeks to fully heal, wait AT LEAST that long. I know it might seem like a lot but it would be worse if you go to the gym too early, hurt yourself and then have to miss several months, or cause severe damage to yourself.

4. Liddy

Liddy Not enough cowbell.

I know 3 people who have had that exact same surgery. They were all in for a couple days and 2 out of the 3 have put on a decent amount of weight.

None of them are exactly gym-goers so it's not surprising.

4-6 weeks isn't that long to take off. It might actually be good for your body to rest (aside from heal from being cut open).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.