GUN Ammunition

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RyeLou, Mar 1, 2005.

1. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

What ammunition should I go with when the 20ga. gets here? I don't plan on hunting anything with it right now. It would just be for target/skeet shooting. Don't know if you would reccomend different ammo for each of the above. Figured I'd ask though before I got something I shouldn't (hold your opinions on the 20ga...)

2. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Cheap bulk boxes from Wal-Mart. It's normally around 8 shot so it's fine for what you need it for and it's the least expensive shotgun ammo you are going to find. They have 100 round packs in 12 and 20 gauge.

3. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

:werd:

Some guns don't cycle the low brass well though, my dads BPS is bad about it.

4. DRM600

DRM600 Guest

skeet out of an 18" barrel?

5. Goat

I've found it's worthless to argue that, as most people will just simply say "it can be done!" and that's the extent of their argument.

6. DRM600

DRM600 Guest

i wasn't trying to start a debate or anything, i was just curious. i've never done it. from my experience though, an 18" barrel shoots a really wide spread. i'm not sure if that would be desirable.

7. Goat

Oh I agree with you, someone posted a thread in the main forum a while back about getting an 18" 870 to shoot skeet/trap with and I said it wasn't the best choice and people jumped all over me.

8. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

definately not the best choice, but I won 100 bucks on a bet at the local skeet club using my 18" Mossy 500. :bigthumb:

9. 04

04 Guest

How much do you guys usually pay for ammo? I bought a case of the Remington #8 shot (250rds) for 32 dollars. Do you guys pay about that much, or can you get it cheaper somewhere?

10. oakie

oakie my ninja.

skeet, yes. trap, no.

although the nominal bbl length for skeet is somewhere in the 20-22" range, an 18" with a full choke would work for skeet, but not enough range for trap.

11. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

I think 100rds of low brass field loads or whatever they're called (havent bought any in a while) are about $14 at walmart so $32 for 250 sounds about right.

12. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I don't expect to be a professional with the gun at skeet shooting, and I don't really have any intentions of doing any trap shooting with it. It's more just a cheap(er) toy for the most part. I'm pretty sure the barrel the gun comes with doesn't have a changable choke, but again I'm not overly worried. If you want to look at it that way, a pump shotgun wasn't the best choice for it either. I'll manage.

13. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Depends on how quick you can pick up the target :)

My next trip (if they let me back on the range) I want to try the 500 on the sporting clays range.

14. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Why wouldn't they let you back?

My new goal is to get good at it just because people said you "can't" do it with a short barrel. FYI, the Defender doesn't have a screw in choke. I'd need to buy a whole new barrel ($189 for a 28" vent rib. w/ mod choke).

15. Goat

No ever said you can't, all anyones said is that there are better choices out there.

16. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

No no, I wasn't refering to here. I'm talking about elsewhere on the internet. Only once specifically to me, but just about short barrels in general and the 1300. Turns out most people aren't a huge fan of the gun. Fuck 'em.

17. Goat

Exactly, fuck 'em. It's a good, afforable gun to learn with, and that's what you bought it for. I'd say you did pretty well.

18. Bill2k1

Bill2k1 Simple Man

Thats what I remember at wal-mart, Federal 100 round value packs (4 boxes in a larger cardboard box) 14 bucks. It will work in pretty much every gun you put it in. I sometimes shoot winchester super X if its on sale at gander mountain.

19. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

My friend has an 1100 that wont cycle them correctly, I think you can get a different spring that will remedy this though.