GUN ammo suggestions Glock 22

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by P07r0457, Oct 5, 2007.

1. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have a Glock 22 that has raised some concerns with me regarding the correct ammo to run. I have put approximately 1000 American Eagle 165 grain .40 S&W through it without issue. However, I have heard several surprising comments -- that this was a ticking time-bomb. One person recommended Winchester as a much safer choice.

My question is what do I need to look for in ammo? I have Federal Personal Defense loaded in the mag for zombies -- but when at the range, I switch out to something much cheaper.

The complaints I heard against the Federal was that the primer was too sensitive, and that was a problem with Glock's ability to fire out-of-battery. The winchester primer is claimed to be better. Comments?

My concern is simply that Federal is over $6.00 cheaper per box of 50. For $100 I can basically get 10 boxes of Federal or only 6 boxes of Winchester. But at the same time, I don't want to kB my glock, or even worse -- lose a finger.

Also, the Federal Premiums that I have are 135 grain, and were purchased at the recommendation of the clerk for home defense. Is that a good choice? The same clerk recommended the 165 grain for range use, as it was the cheapest and lightest round. The 180 grain is the same price as the 165. I understand the difference between 165 and 180 grain is the bullet weight, but how does this translate into balistics in terms of accuracy, kick, and the potential for a kB?

Thank you for any input you may have.

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

For plinking ammo? Whatevers on sale is what I would use in it, as far as the kB stuff, I've heard about them happening with Winchester and Federal, actually cann't recall hearing about any with AE. For defensive loads in .40 I've been carrying Ranger SXT's but recently picked up some ammo from Double Tap I'll be testing and deciding if I want to switch.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Would you be able to explain the effective differences in grains between rounds?

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

:rolleyes: gee thanks :rolleyes: As my original post indicates, I already knew that.

My question is EFFECTIVE differences between grains. How do they effect accuracy, perceived recoil, potential for kB, etc.

5. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

for lack of a better term different guns like different ammo. Bigger grains seems to have bigger recoil, pretty sure physics will back me up there. Potential for KB is low as long as you use an ammo that is recommended for your gun (i.e. no +P in a gun not made to handle it or a gun known to have problems) so read the manual and read up on the gun online, though I haven't heard of too many glock KBs. Like I said for accuracy, you are just going to have to feed it a bit of different kinds until you find one that you are happy with, which basically means you and the gun agree on.

6. Dr. Fuckface

Dr. Fuckface Wheelguns: when it absolutely, positively has to g

I thought the whole point of owning/shooting glocks is that they'll eat anything :nuts: and that they're indestructible :drama:

if you're willing to deal with a finicky eater, at least move up to a 1911 :rofl:

better yet, invest in reloading, and cook up your own ammo

7. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Section8s 1911 will eat everything except Blazer brass...and I know that gun is not that only one that has problems with that shit

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

They do eat anything.
    There has been some drama surrounding them blowing up, at times.

It has shot everything I have given it. But I want to keep my finger. All this "negative-press" has me worried.

FUCK NO. 99% of the glock kB's were with reloaded ammo. No way will I do that.

9. Dr. Fuckface

To each their own. I look at it like I do working on my own car: I know it's done right, because I did it. It's the same reason skydivers and airborne pack their own chutes.

I wonder how many of those kB's were results of double-charging the cartridge?

Properly done, reloaded ammo is not only cheaper, but it is also more accurate and more reliable. Like AB13 has said, if you don't trust yourself, have uncontrollable bouts of ADD, or no access to a place that will allow you to work unhindered, then it's not a good idea.

But, if you can manage those simple things, you can custom make ammo that's just right for your purpose, be it plinking, match, or self defense. Just work with known loads and known recipes, you'll be golden.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I'm sure too much powder is a common factor. But weak casings are, as well.... So I would have to buy new casings to feel comfortable reloading -- and at that point, I might as well buy factory.

11. el capitan

el capitan New Member

my g23 hates wwb for some reason, i'll have 2 FTE's out of a box of 50. i switched to remington, and haven't had an FTE in over 2700-3000 rounds. if it liked wwb i'd shoot it, but it doesn't, so i don't shoot it. i'd say if your 22 cycles AE and you like the accuracy then shoot it.

12. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

i didnt read the thread, just the first post.

people are idiots, buy whatever is cheap. american eagle is made by federal.

edit: I just read a couple posts
    Weak casings really aren't to blame with the glock kb's you read about. Double charges are of course a problem but with the glocks you aren't supposed to shoot lead ammo, and many reloaders do. Some parts of the chamber of .40 glocks aren't well supported either. The best solution to reloading with a glock is to buy an aftermarket barrel and fix both those problems.

13. Dr. Fuckface

i wouldn't say you'd need to buy new casings- that's overkill. but given that glock factory barrels have some 'play' in them (for lack of a better term), it would be a good idea to get an aftermarket barrel.

The after market fits the cartridge more closely, so the brass does not expand as much, metal fatigue is less, and brass life is greatly extended.

Wait till AB13 chimes in. I think he said he's run as much as 3500 reloaded rounds through his glock--in a week. :bowdown:

edit: IIRC, his is a G22, also.