GUN Ammo for S&W model 19

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by WooleyBooger, Dec 12, 2007.

1. WooleyBooger

WooleyBooger OT Supporter

So i am going this weekend to make a swap for a S&W model 19 .357 mag with the 4" barrel (both guns are my dads...so its not costing me anything). I have been doing some reading on different ammo for it, and have read in several places that with the 19, shooting todays current "full bore" .357 ammo will cause excessive wear and tear on the gun. I don't want that...so it's generally recommended to shoot the older type .357 ammo, newer but slower non +P, or any .38 spl.

Here's my question...which would be better, newer non +P .357 (i'm not even counting older "ball" ammo) or the best .38? Any specific ammo recommendations?

Also, i'm sure some of you have read this guy's stuff...

http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm

How reputable is he...does he have any idea what he's talking about?

2. MTech

MTech New Member

Target .38 +P

and .357 Mag for defense.. no need for +p if you have a good round.

For Instance..
    357 Mag Speer 125 Grain Gold Dot Hollow Point
    [FONT="Trebuchet MS", Arial, Helvetica]Speer 357 Magnum 158 Grain Gold Dot Hollow Point

[/FONT]

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

If you want a really low recoil recoil round for defensive use Winchester 148 gr standard pressure lead target wadcutter (X38SMRP) for a super gentle round, or if you want to stick with .38 spl and step up to +P the speer 135gr gold dot, or the remington 158gr lswchp.

As far as the link I have no idea how reputable anonymous is but the information in that article is not generally considered accurate today. Read http://www.firearmstactical.com/hwfe.htm It is full of information that people are willing to put their names on.

4. WooleyBooger

WooleyBooger OT Supporter

I guess i assumed that since it was on Chuck Hawks website...it was written by him :dunno:

Will definitely read the article you posted :bigthumb: