American Car Mags RIP?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by TriShield, Oct 2, 2009.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

[​IMG]

By Robert Farago
    October 2, 2009

I recently received an email from the now bi-weekly AutoWeek offering me a FREE YEAR! “Now, for a very limited time, you can take advantage of our lowest rate ever. For just $19.95, you can enjoy TWO YEARS (52 issues) of your favorite magazine! That’s 90% off the retail rate–just 38¢ per issue!” Despite “bi-weekly race results, news straight from the auto show floor and unbiased editorial reviews,” I’m holding out for the last 10 percent discount, and the removal of the two-year requirement.

That’s not as strange as it sounds; we’re getting reports that Car and Driver subscribers are getting the buff book long after they’ve let their subs expire. Subscription income sacrificed on the Alterman of advertising? Perish the thought! Meanwhile this from Automobile: “An exclusive limited-time offer has been reserved for you from Automobile Magazine. Through October 9, you can get a full year of Automobile for only $10! That’s $49.88 off the cover price – an 83% savings!”

Clearly, these guys are toast. The question is, what, if anything will replace them? Personally, I think it’s the ideal time to start a new car magazine; one that redefines the genre with coffee-table compatible paper stock, world-class photography and scintillating, insightful reviews and features (a la The Rodders Journal). Or is it time to stick a fork in the whole car mag thing?

2. CJPA

CJPA New Member

Perhaps Robert Farago would be comfortable with paying 14.95 GBP for each issue of Top Gear Magazine :hsughno:

3. caddymac

caddymac New Member

How can it be AutoWeek if it is every other week!

I get Popular Science now (free offer on the web), and it is about 90% ads. The internets put a hurting on print media.

4. Supernoma

Supernoma servus publicae OT Supporter

I dont like the idea of bringing a laptop into the bathroom when I want some reading material :o

5. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

i hate these magazines because they publish the news about a month after ive read it on the internet

they offer me very little to read

6. TriShield

Car and Driver Jumps the Shark. Again. Still. Edition.

[​IMG]

By Robert Farago
    October 5, 2009

A member of our TTAC faithful brought this Car and Driver BM photoshop scandal to our attention in a comment posted under a recent Ask the Best and Brightest. I let it go unremarked at the time. But now that Autoblog has picked-up the Car and Driver cudgel and beat the mag over the head with it, the story has officially mainstreamed (not to verbize or anything).

Whatever credibility and good will the Alterman regime has generated at Car and Driver just disappeared in a puff of imaginary tire smoke. Imagine blaming the writer for browbeating the art department into faking a drag race to mislead the reader. And then calling deceived readers idiots. As someone who grew-up devouring Car and Driver, this is the final straw. Enjoy the slide boys. There’s no coming back.

John Phillips became so attached to the BMW X6M that it – appropriately enough – triggered many irrational responses. One of these was his insistence that we photoshop the BMW beating the clearly superior Chevy Nova. Any attempt to dissuade him – by telling him, for instance, that only an idiot would believe a BMW SUV could beat a purpose-built drag car – just resulted in heated calls to the suicide hotline and even more foaming at the mouth than usual.

7. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:werd: If I weren't getting them for free, I wouldn't be subscribing to them now days. Except for GMHTP, that's about the only one I still pay for at this point.

8. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

autorags are good but with resources like autoblog they're no longer a necessity for news. i was reading an Automobile mag copy a few months back, and yawning during the news sections-I knew about all those introductions, phase outs, changes, etc they day/week [at worst] they broke. Automags are still the only ones I read, and I'll pick em up the few times a year I fly, but...

9. caddymac

caddymac New Member

Ha, found my collection of auto rags from the mid to late 90's at my parent's house last weekend. What a sad state automobiles were in during the early 90's, with 80's automobiles just winding down (one example - the Dodge Spirit).

Some quotes from the October 1994 Road and Track issue (which listed all cars to be manufactured for 1995):

"What the tide looks like when it turns: General Motors, Ford and Chrysler each posted record profits in the second quarter of 1994."

"Mercedes-Benz thinks that its tiny A-class car might just make it to the U.S., most likely as the zero-emissions vehicle required by certain states."

"Lexus is seriously toying with the idea of adding a sport-utility vehicle to its line by the end of the decade. More likely, and sooner: a convertible."

10. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

:mamoru:

11. TriShield

The Big Three were immensely profitable until this decade. Then they passed the point that their marketshare couldn't support the structure of their companies domestically.

12. Somatic

Somatic OG Lurker ftw

National Geographic > that shit

13. jeff2577

jeff2577 OT OG

I let all my subscriptions lapse when I left college. All the info was starting to come out on the net, plus the mags are severely biased as well in some of their testing.

Good riddance.

The specialty mags will survive.

14. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (MOT-COOL0/00.62 UP.Browser/6.2.3.4.c.1.128 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

they will probably just go all online like so many other mags are doing

15. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Time to stick a fork in it. Too many competitors in the marketplace. You've got American hot rod mags, eurotrash mags, import ricer mags, off-road truck mags, etc etc etc. There's only ever enough going on in the car world -- that a LARGE number of people will care about -- to support a couple of car mags and a couple of off-road/dune-buggy mags, and maybe a motorcycle mag. The rest of the stories are about on-par with the celebrity-couples shit that gets printed in the tabloids.