AMD vs Intel

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by trouphaz, Feb 22, 2008.

1. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

So, I know Intel has the performance crown right now hands down. Is there any market for AMD at all? I've been an AMD fan for years up until I got a Core2Duo laptop recently and was very impressed. I know for a while, even when Intel held the performance lead at the very high end, once you got to the mid-range AMD's price/performance ratio was so much better than Intel. What's the story now?

Just to let you know, I'm not building a PC or anything. I'm just looking for conversation. :big grin: Hopefully people can discuss this intelligently and it won't just erupt into a flame war. I'll do my best to not be a jerk in my own thread.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Back in the P3 days, Intel had the more robust design, but AMD had the better "value". When Intel went with netburst it became even more segmented... Gamers and application-users tended to get better performance -- and thus "value" out of the AMD platform. However, media creation users or mission-critical application users would generally prefer Intel. AMD64 further supported these points. For several years (basically for the length of netburst) AMD was the better bang-for-the-buck. However, snce Intel released the Core architecture they pretty much swept the board in terms of performance. Then intel came in with some VERY agressive pricing structures that hung AMD out to dry. I fully expected intel to wait a while before moving to Core2 -- as AMD still couldn't compete with Core... But intel wanted to go for a kill, and released Core2 and again dropped pricing.

Right now, regardless of what you want, it's pretty easy to say "just go intel". They are the best-performing chips at basically any price-point. And, as has been true for a decade, they are the more stable of the two options.

Looking at AMD's roadmap, I don't see anything in the near future that is going to threaten intel's superiority.

3. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

the way i see it, you can build a pretty decent budget or htpc for cheap if you choose amd.
    you win

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Not rly. Nothing that can't be beat by intel, atm.

5. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

which AMD proc would you use for an HTPC?

going by all of the comparisons on tomshardware.com, the intel procs seem to pretty much walk all over the amds. but, if you compare the price of the c2d e6600 to the athlon 64 x2 6000 (using newegg.com) there is an $80 difference even though those two run neck in neck on the benchmarks.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/07/16/cpu_charts_2007/page14.html

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

for a media center pc, def get the intel. MUCH better for media, and they run cooler and use less power.

7. Harry Caray

Harry Caray Fine purveyor of x.264, h.264 & TS HD-Video !!! HD

STAY AWAY from the x2 6000. It's a 135w + chip, runs hot,etc...

The "only" chip that HTPC peeps would consider is the x2 4800ee (65w) model... It'll push 1080p on its own, and runs cool with passive, no fan cooling, and can be had @ Outpost/Fry's for $118 w/mobo usually on weekend..

But any e2200 & up CoreDuo for $70 & up will push 1080 no problem, and run cooler...

Fry's has the combo for $99 or Newegg has the chip for $93

http://www.netaffilia.com/ad/electronics/frys/i/2008/02/20/30204.html

8. Harry Caray

9. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

The E6600 isn't a good comparison anymore, since the E8400 pretty much destroys it for less money.
    And they overclock just as well as all the other C2D's do.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yea, you're pretty dumb to get an AMD for a HTPC considering that Intel def runs cooler and with less powa.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you CAN'T use fry's for comparison. 99% of their shit is open box. Plus the mobo in their combos is usually an ECS and if you even mention the possibility of using an ECS mobo in a machine then I will fucking KILL YOU.

12. etech

etech New Member

Lighten up Francis.

In case you don't understand the reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTUruCv4Qi4

13. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

What would AMD have to do to regain the pole position?

14. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i was only going strictly based on the tomshardware.com comparison which is also a few months old at this point.

anyway, if you were going by benchmarks and you found two procs that come out very similar across the board, would you still spend $50-80 more to have the Intel cpu vs the AMD? so, let's just say in this case you aren't looking to go top of the line. at this point i'm just playing devils advocate more than anything.

it sounds like even on even benchmarks, the intel is still a better way to go since you have a better potential upgrade path and better power/cooling situation.

15. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

speaking of power usage and temperature the new wolfsdale core E8XXX series core2duo are fantastic and support the new 45nm technology. it runs very cool and uses a lot less power then the conroe cores.

16. Harry Caray

yea, but you're not going to get a 65w 2.2ghz dual core chip for $80.... :rolleyes:

17. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

AMD blows at the moment. I always root for them, but they are just not relevant at this point.

18. Doc Brown

I think someone building a basic internet machine might as well go with the best dollar value.

Someone building a gaming machine, is likely going to consider factors like upgrade path, and even how well the proc overclocks.

In the first case, if it's AMD then fine, go with it.

The second case is almost certainly going to be Intel at this point.

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

come out with a cpu that was fast, reliable, low-heat, low-power, and cheap. They would also need a reliable chipset, which they simply do not have, right now.

20. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

I understand people taking advantage of the price war,... but come on,...

The E8400 Wolfdale, $200+, at stock speed,... is obliterating any AMD chip. Yeah, even the Phenom X3s (tri) and X4s (quads).

Intel: Now you have seen the "tick" (Penryn),... wait till you see the "tock" (Nehalem).
    :noes:

21. Doc Brown

Oh shit, man. I was curious so I just googled that to see what's new with it. (Nehalem)

Amd is so fucked, it isn't even funny. Wait, yes it is.

:rofl:

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9780925-7.html

"The demo showed all 16 threads at work on various tasks."

:eek3:

22. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yea, Intel is gonna be fucking AMD in the ass -- sans lube -- for the foreseeable future.