AMD vs Intel (new build soon, need advice)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by conRAD, Jul 28, 2007.

1. conRAD

conRAD New Member

Hi there.

I keep hearing mixed things about the latest Intel VS AMD argument.

To sum it up - I am going for a new system in the next month, and was looking to go for an Athlon X2 6000+ 3ghz. its $170.

Would I be better off going for something different? My primary use here is gaming, and graphic/web design.

I hear that, in the case of the quad core intel's, its great for multi-tasking, but gives no real advantage to gaming, and even does a bit worse in a gaming environment than a single / dual core CPU. Is this true?

Does anyone have any benchmark comparisons of the 6000+ to the q6600 or E6850? any suggestions?

Also, in terms of motherboard, what are people into these days? My last two boards with ASUS turned into a nightmare, and I switched off to a DFI that also seems to suck some peen.

Thanks,
    conrad

2. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

Right now Intel beats AMD in everything, Power, Speed and Price.

You'd be a fool to go with AMD instead of intel.

But I suggest you want a bit if you can, a whole new level of tech should comeout by around Feb

3. zanyspy_dude

zanyspy_dude King of teh n00bz

I'm no expert, but i went with intel and i've been very satified. The mobo went out and that 3 year warrenty was handie

4. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

there is always a whole new level of technology 6 months down the road.

5. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

I've had fantastic luck with both Asus and Intel boards. The only drawback to Intel boards is that you can't overclock, but if you can give that up, they are hands down the most stable board out there.

Personally, I think you'd be a fool to go with anything AMD at this point, Intel is just mopping the floor with their Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad. For most people at this point, the E6850 is the way to go if you have extra cash ($329)to spend on a cpu, otherwise the E6550 is the way to go at $185.

6. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

Conroes are more then a year old now.

Might as well wait for Penryn which'll be out pretty soon. New intel chipsets are also coming out soon.

7. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

Never play the waiting game. C2Ds and C2Qs are cheap as dirt right now, no reason not to go with them.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

INTEL beats AMD *NOW*

For the *FORSEABLE* future INTEL will *CONTINUE* to beat AMD.

BUY INTEL!

9. conRAD

conRAD New Member

thanks for all of the advice.

next question being... the E6850 and the E6550.. worth the price difference to go with the 6850? and if im spending that much, would it be worth going for a similarly priced quad core?

10. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

not a lot of stuff that can even make use of dual cores, there is more on the way, but still not a ton. Unless you're doing crazy multi tasking, stick with a dual.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I would go quad-core

12. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Question:

Is your current computer unreliable, or is it too slow to do what you need/want it to? If not, don't build a new computer yet.

13. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

Go for the Quad if you can.

The new G0 Steppings are amazing I hear.

Check out xtreme systems forums or hardforum.com for more advice.

14. conRAD

conRAD New Member

yeah im thinking about waiting now. having a newegg.com preferred account makes me impulse buy a new computer every 6 months after I pay off the 6 months no interest or payments haha.

My current machine is an Athlon 64 4000+, Radeon x1800 512mb, DFI Lanparty UT, and a gig of corsair PC3200.

its the ram that has me wanting to build a new machine. I still havent been able to tell if its the mbo, or the ram itself, but I already sunk $120 in a new mbo for this machine just to have more problems. Im down to a gig of ram from 2 gigs because of issues with it not booting, and even now it does hang at random usually once every 2 days.

But, with the random hangs aside, it does OK at what I need it to do - I just wish I could push the ram past a gig. Whenever I try, the system wont post. Happened on two boards now (an asus and now a dfi).

15. conRAD

conRAD New Member

Sounds good. Yeah, I heard about the G0 steppings, but also heard buying the quad doesn't guarantee you get the G0. Im assuming thats while they sell the older ones and the newer makes get fully stocked?

Also, in terms of board - Is ASUS still the primary choice amongst everyone? Any specific suggestions of boards people have used w/ the quads?

16. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

Five P35 boards compared.
    http://techreport.com/reviews/2007q2/p35-mobos/index.x?pg=1

Cliffs: Asus P5K, Gigabyte DQ6 (or DS3R), and Abit IP35 Pro, are pretty much the best choices right now.

Pick the board that suits your needs.

680i boards and the upcoming X38 (this August) are best for crossfire and SLI.

Edit: I have the Abit IP35 Pro. Haven't used it yet,... I'm still waiting for my Q6600 G0 when it arrives.
    I usually go with Asus, but I didn't like their P35 boards. The Gigabyte boards are getting good reviews but I have no need for the legacy ports (LPT, COM). That's why I tried Abit.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2007
  17. conRAD

conRAD New Member

awesome, thanks for the tips. probably also going to try the abit.

18. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

Yeah dont go with 680i no matter what. =\

At the time it was best choice, but P35 beats it in everything, bar SLI stuff.

19. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

A few things you should know before you consider the Abit IP35 Pro:

1. Abit's support sucks. They are slow in releasing bios updates. The IP35 Pro is a solid board though, so it's not that big of a deal,.. well at least right now.

2. There are many who complained that they received boards that are warped. If you receive one, just RMA the board. I received mine fine.

3. The gigabit LAN on the IP35 Pro rests on the PCI lanes, not PCI-E which is faster. This will be an issue if you transfer large files through a network.

4. It's picky about RAM.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  20. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Did you buy your 2GB of RAM as a matched pair? If not, that will likely cause problems. RAM nowadays is under so much stress that the tolerances we got used to back in the SDRAM days are gone again.

If you want a cheap upgrade for your current machine, get an Athlon X2; dual core really smooths things out, even if it doesn't make individual programs run faster.

21. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

Also get 4 gig, 2 gigs is meh for Vista.