AMD or Intel

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mrmegabyte, Aug 14, 2008.

1. mrmegabyte

mrmegabyte New Member

I know that this question has been ask millions of times, but I want to know everyone's PREFERENCE not which is better on paper and benchmarks. Just pure preference between AMD and Intel, and why? What experiences have you had with each processor?

2. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

Intel....cuz it's gooder.

Yeah this has been played out for way too long now. Do a search and you will probably find a 100 different threads regarding this very topic.

3. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Like 3 years ago AMD was clearly the leader. There was no question.
    But then Intel started shipping there Duo branded chips. Those things just rocked AMD's world and they never got it back.

Honestly, if you are going to do any sort of gaming, or video creation (like turning things recorded on a camcorder into a DVD) you will see noticeable speed differences in the Intel chips.

If you are the email, internet, occasional microsoft word user and nothing else person - it really makes no difference.

4. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

. that's easiest way to put it.

AMD: is cheaper and fine for the average user

INTEL: sometimes more $$ but much more powerful.

5. gravity

gravity New Member

Amd: For budget builds.
    Intel: For $800 and up.

6. awns729

awns729 New Member

I have an AMD athlon64 3500+ in my current desktop. Before that I've had Intels in my old desktops, and my new laptop as a core2duo 2.0ghz.

Honestly, the most significant reasons to have a preference are 1) You're an Intel or AMD fanboy just because you are or 2) Benchmarks/performance. at least in my opinion. So I'm not sure you'll find anything that doesn't go back to benchmarks or something price vs. performance related, because really that IS what it comes down to in the end.

Before, I had a preference of AMD because I had heard that their dual cores would be awesome. So i bought a 3500+ and am now upgrading to a dual core because they are cheap. My preference was based on people's speculation that the AMD benchmarks would > Intel. That's why I did an AMD build. But they lose in the benchmarks because c2d > x2, but I don't care because it's not worth it to upgrade my mobo and do all that work for extra processing power. The AMD is cheaper, although less powerful, and I save money by keeping my mobo and my time.

If I were starting a new build now, my preference would be whatever gives me the best bang for my buck. Why should it not be? (Here's where I don't get what you're looking for). A processor rarely breaks or fries. There aren't any bad experiences with installations. Sometimes heatsinks (if you're Overclocking) are the only complaint, but that doesn't warrant changing over from AMD to Intel or vice versa. Since Intel completely blows AMD out of the water, and neither processor limits your computing capabilities in any way, if you can find an Intel for the same price as an AMD, it will be faster/better/preferable. There's really nothing else to it. The ONLY reason I would chose an AMD is if there were no faster Intel in the same price range, or just because I happened to chose it for my first build. In the end it comes down to performance vs. price, which is based on benchmarks...unless I'm missing something you're saying, there's nothing else to say.

Edit: Or, if I was in interested in supporting AMD because I like the way they approach their designs, and I don't want to see Intel ahead forever, then I'd possibly buy a Phenom. I don't really know much about the difference in AMD vs. Intel when it comes to design, but I would like to see them ahead of Intel again, just for competition's sake. Personally, I don't care too much about this, and AMD would have to be only a little slower than the Intel for me to buy it.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008