AMD...ATI...No More ATI on Intel?? Help..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Battousai, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Battousai

Battousai New Member

Just trying to understand a little bit better...

Does this mean that I will not be able to use a ATI vdieocard with an Intel Motherboard?? OR does this merger just stops ATI from making chipsets for thier boards??

I was looking to get a crossfire setup couple months from now...but does this mean that the Intel motherboards wont be able to support the cards?

Or am I just being a noob and if the board has two PCI's I am good to go no matter what?

PLEASE LET ME KNOW...Thanks guys

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

lol, Intel and ATI alike would be REALLY stupid if they tried to break compatility . I doubt that wil happen.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It all depends on the details of the agreement between AMD and ATI. They might very well have agreed that ATI can whore itself out to whoever it wants, so long as it sleeps in AMD's bed at night. (that is to say, so long as they supply AMD with cheap chipsets.)

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the real question is why would you make two wise decisions, such as running an Intel CPU and motherboard, but then follow up with a horrible decision by using an ATi video card?

5. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

Because a sapphire is a precious gem thingy so it must be a good video card company amirite?????

nVidia > ATI

Video card wars aside, it's been said by AMD/ATI reps that there are no plans to break compatability with Intel products.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

They would be really stupid to break desktop compatibility. How would they enforce it? Include a special BIOS on all ATI cards that checks for an AMD processor? Develop a proprietary card slot, maybe? I don't think so. If there is going to be any schism, it's going to be with onboard video in laptops. ATI will of course serve Athlon-compatible motherboards, but whether they will also serve Pentium/Core-compatible motherboards is the question. I'd be willing to bet ATI wouldn't agree to block themselves out of the Intel-compatible laptop video market, because then nVidia would make shitloads of cash selling exclusively to Intel, and Intel all-but-owns the laptop motherboard market.

7. Battousai

Battousai New Member

Benchmarks aside...

I like da two...

Thanks everybody for the 2Cents so far...I don't think they will break off combat too...just seeing if any new rumors are flying....

8. Clarity

Clarity New Member

fanboys FOR THE LOSE

9. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

Go compaire performance, cost, etc, then come back.

10. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

even beyond that just compare quality... ati drivers are piss poor compared to nvidia and their linux support is even worse

dear god I hope amd drags ati to its level instead of ati dragging them down

11. PeacefulAnarchy

PeacefulAnarchy You get one for the money, two for the show, three

ATi was good for years.

I went from a Ti4200 to a 9600XT. ATi won me over with their driver support. I then upgraded to a 9700 Pro, and last year, I got an X800XL.

Then everything went downhill. Their old drivers were amazing, total perfection. The new ones can't even handle the original Unreal Tournament or even Quake 3 without OpenGL mouse lag issues, and on top of that even Duke Nukem 3D has artifacts, and even zDoom and Descent.

To top it all off, the Catalyst Control Center is bloated horseshit. Adds an extra 30 seconds or so onto my boot time. What the fuck?

It's great to wait an extra 30 seconds to see some boobs, just so that my graphics card control panel can look like a Honda Civic, spinners and all.

This post would be much more furious but I got that anger out a month back.

Thank God my new laptop will have an nVidia 7400 in it...

12. Clarity

Clarity New Member

did you hear you stupid subless 06? in latest gen, not considering the dual core gfxs yet, the ati card has better pixel shaders, and thusly so outperforms the nvidia counterpart in oblivion, a heavily shader based game.

again, you stupid, idiotic, useless excuse of a life form, go drown yourself in a toilet. thanks.

:mamoru:

13. PeacefulAnarchy

PeacefulAnarchy You get one for the money, two for the show, three

Heehee, you're one to talk :).

14. Battousai

Battousai New Member

WELL...I havent had your luck....BUT,

I really like tehir drivers...have been really good for ME. I agree on the load time though. I miss the old version.

15. Battousai

Battousai New Member

The dual core gfxs are like a disposable diaper...

You can even Sli the beast...so its pointless...Might as well save your money and wait until they get it right