AMD adds triple-core Phenom processor to desktop roadmap

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ebtromba, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Why three cores? Can they not get four cores to work? Or is the three-core bit their way of making use of silicon that's only 25% damaged?

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

:YAWN:

Intel has awsome quad-cores.... AMD is so deer-in-headlights.

4. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

"Who needs four cores? No game or apps today will make use of all four cores anyway,... three core is a better buy!!!"

I'd expect that from fanboys. :mamoru:

5. Harry Caray

Harry Caray Fine purveyor of x.264, h.264 & TS HD-Video !!! HD

Yea.. and they haven't released "Phenom" yet... and they can't even get the damn thing to run at the original rated speed :rofl: :wtc:

Too bad Soooo sad...

but the whole "quad-core/Intel" thingy... they are not "true" quad... The data still has to go out to the Northbridge and come back to the other dual core just to say "HI" !!! ..

A twin / dual-core Opteron is faster thanks to the DMA/memory controller.. but nowadays... its all about being green and energy consumption... which leads me toooooooo............

It's really now about the "THREADS" ...... ;) Hello X2 and 1 "gazzzzillion" threads per chip :bowdown: while only consuming the energy of a fly:coolugh:

6. Skankin'

Skankin' We are Ginger. We do not forgive. We do not forget

Why 4 cores or 2 cores?

7. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

It's just embarrassing for AMD that their so called "native quads" suck compared to Intel's "fake" quads.

Clovertown > Barcelona

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Binary math. It's the de-facto standard. No reason why I have a problem with three cores, it's just odd.

(pardon the math joke :mamoru:)

9. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Not really. They are still cleaning up quite well in the server markets an no one expects that to change anytime soon. Cost (not just of the processor, but also the required memory) vs performance they are hard to beat. We just had meetings at work to select hardware platforms for the next two years (vendors, processors, drives, etc) and decided to stay with AMD. Speaking with the vendor (big vendor & not Dell) rep he was still seeing most of their orders in our region come in for AMD. So I don't think they are cooked just yet. Both Intel and AMD have true quads on the road map for later this year, early next.

As for a three-core system, no idea but if the price point is right, why not? I've worked with plenty of 3 CPU SMP systems over the years. Not the most popular choice but popular enough I've run into them more than once.

Also, anyone in IT should kiss AMD's ass for breaking the hold Intel had on the server market and finally turning server CPU's into commodities. The price/performance difference between servers now vs even a few years ago is astounding.

10. Moloch

Moloch New Member

I'd speculate its if all 4 cores can't meet the speed grade they can disable that core and sell em... ++yields.
    But rough times are indeed ahead for amd, intel's finally pulled their head out their ass with the C2D and amd kinda dropped the ball on the phenom/barcelona, integer performance is lackluster and FP performance isn't as great as you'd expect it to be. Amd will continue to sell things at low prices at the expense of margins, which they cant really afford to do, unlike Intel.
    The Barcelona though should do well in 4 socket+ systems though because of the superior system bandwidth. It's too bad about the L3 cache slowing latency down so much thogh, they lost the advantage they had..

11. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

From http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/005442.html

Why a three-core chip? There's definitely a manufacturing edge to be gained there: Not all of the CPUs that come off a wafer will work properly. The native quad-core design AMD's using for Phenom (and the Barcelona server CPUs it just released), makes it easy for the company to deactivate a defective core and still have a viable three-core chip.

So basically,.. it's a quad, with one defective core,... sold at a discount.
    :bowrofl:

12. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

So. nVidia and ATI do this all the time.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

That's been standard practice for years. That's how we used to get Celeron's and Durons -- cores that worked but damaged cache. And cpus are manufactured to a certain spec, but not all cut the mustard, which is why you got 1.6GHz allendales and 2.0GHz allendales -- they're all made to 2.0GHz, but not all performed reliably at that speed, so they are downclocked. Furthermore, some do operate well at higher speeds, but to meet demands they may be downclocked, anyway.

14. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

But AMD struggling to survive is funnier. :rofl:

15. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Again, they are really not struggling all that much in the CPU market. One of the things people are failing to realize is that they are way more interested in the server market than the desktop market right now. The cause of their big financial drain was buying ATI, not competition from Intel. Their CPUs are still cheaper and in large applications (i.e. an 8x2/64 gig VI3 server) they are still champ. And these large servers are booming due to virtualization.

16. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

I don't know where you get your info

AMD said themselves that profits were hit hard, especially on the Server margin. The billion $ debt for purchasing ATI, plus the price war with Intel is really hurting them right now.

That's why experts, analysts, and nerds are on the lookout if Barcelona (and Phenom) will turn the company around.

BTW,... only 40% of those profits are Server chips. That figure is declining. They are branching out to the desktop market more.

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yea, intel has servers locked, imo. 64-bit was promising, but now that intel has a comprable implementation (and faster chips) the differences favor intel. And although AMD has a few novely chips with ultra-low power consumption, the general intel lineup is very power-friendly compared to previous offerings.

18. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Um, that's pretty much what I just said... The only reason this price war is causing then the hurt it is is due to their ATI purchase. Like I said, that is the big factor here. That was their mistake, sinking that much capital into that purchase.
    The money for AMD is in their server chips. Server CPU's tend to carry a larger margin and companies tend to stick with a platform for a while to allow for standardization. All of their desktop architecture is hand-me-down from their server class CPU's, where most of their R&D is focused. I get to see first hand what our customers are putting in and for big servers, mostly going to virtualization, the majority are going with AMD, mainly due to cost.

If they can get over their ATI indigestion and stick to their long term roadmap I don't think they will be going anywhere.

19. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

Hell no. The big factor is that Intel is pwning them.
    AMD can pay that debt early if they could raise prices.
    They can't. They need to sell their chips at tray prices to compete with Intel.

20. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Intel owned them for years BEFORE now (AMD is not a new company nor are they new to the CPU business). The difference is now they are burdened with the ATI debt, which means that they are cash strapped. THAT is why they are in the financial shape they are in now.

21. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

The debt is recent. It is not the cause of AMD's financial troubles.
    The cause is called "Conroe".

22. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

That's what I heard on another board.

If they're cheap enough, then I imagine they'll sell well enough.

23. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

AMD buys ATI -> AMD is cash strapped from purchase -> gets in price war -> has low cash reserve due to purchase of ATI -> has financial issues.

Again, the problem is they took on ATI (and the related debt) then got in a price war/R&D race with Intel. Had they not purchased ATI, and taken on the debt, and depleted their capital, they would not be in the financial bind they are today while in the price war.

24. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

I'm actually interested on how low they will price it.
    Phenom is inherently more expensive to manufacture.

25. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Have you seen a benchmark for Phenom yet?