AMC crew?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Original Sin, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Original Sin

Original Sin I'm so hood.

Don't suppose there's an AMC crew here, is there?

if so, 2 questions:
    1.Any decent forums?
    2.Any idea on how hard it is to drop a SBC into a '66 Rambler Rogue?

I've already got a project 406 SBC, and it looks like I'll have a 1966 Rogue within a month (as soon as I sell my G-Body MCSS). It has a straight 6 in it now, and that just will not do.

2. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

If I were you I'd keep running a I-6.

but not the one in there.

Buy a Jeep 4.0 complete, with the efi and everything. Get a crank from an AMC 258 (4.2L). Put the 258 crank in the 4.0 (yes it fits, same block different bore). You've now got a 4.5L I-6 (more if you overbore the engine) EFI and a great head.

Painless wiring sells a harness for the 4.0 EFI using a GM 4.3L ECU now, which makes the wiring plug and play.

Back it with a nice 5spd trans and re-gear the rear to a 4.10.

Now you've got 250hp minimum, 300+ ft-lbs of torque, EFI drivability and mileage, and the wow factor of having an I-6 that will whoop on some small blocks.

At least that's what I was planning on doing some day.

3. Original Sin

I'll keep that in mind! I didn't realize there was a connection between the amc 6 and the jeep 6 until this morning...so I've been toying around with similar ideas all day. I've obviously got some time to make any final decisions, so I'll keep looking at the SBC route, but a jeep6 sounds like a lot less custom work involved! I plan to keep the trans auto, so the interior stays stock looking, but will be looking at various upgrades (at least a 4sp).

I used to live in Simi Valley, just off N.Madera & E.Los Angeles Ave, near Arroyo park.

4. IslanderOffRoad

:bigthumb: I live off Stearns behind In-N-Out.

Check out the jeep boards, alot of people build the strokers for cherokees and wranglers. The AMC 6 is an awesome design.

In theory you could run a Cherokee AW4, but its an electronic trans with its own brain so there would be alot more wiring involved. But you could use an AW4 shifting kit and have paddle shifters. AA makes an adapter to put a 700R4 behind it, I'd do that, probably the easiest, and frankly any other 4spd trannies that came behind the 4.0 suck.

Let me know if you do this. I've seriously contemplated building such an animal, I just have no money for it, so its something thats probably 5-10 years down the road for me. Oh and pics of the car?

5. Original Sin

paddle shifters huh...that could be fun...

I just have pics from the CL ad right now...I probably won't get to see it in person till tues-wed of next week.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

a friend of mine went ahead and bought it already, giving me time to sell off another project and then buy it from him.

6. IslanderOffRoad

7. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

I was an AMC fan before I was a fan of anything else. I had a Concord, Eagle and Grand Wagoneer. I almost got an AMX instead of the Grand National in high school.

8. Original Sin

Well, after a couple days of reading I've decided against a SBC swap. I'm going to drive it as is for a while, and in the mean time try to put together a 360 (unless a 390 or 401 happen to fall into my lap) mated to a TF727. I think I'll keep this car mostly AMC, with the exception being the rear end

9. matrix243

matrix243 My body, is ready.

check this amx out. 1 of 2
    [​IMG]

10. Original Sin

Nice Garage :eek3: