COMIC Amazon.com sells anime bootlegs through their marketplace

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Rorschach, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Rorschach

Rorschach New Member

Two items I have bought from Amazon.coms marketplace sells have been bootlegs recently. Cowboy Beebop Boxed set and Gundam Wing boxed set..

BE WARNED

If there are chinese subs on it or its region 0 or its like 30 bucks for an entire series.. its bootleg.

2. gthesob

gthesob the fun machine took a shit and died OT Supporter

I was looking at FLCL and kept finding the whole series on one disc and regionless ones as well. They're not even trying to do anything about it.

3. They're not bootlegs. They're cheap imports. :slap:

4. Rorschach

Rorschach New Member

No such thing.

5. RDB

RDB Blinded By Subpar Modulators

its pretty obvious when you check the price and number of dvds/ep per dvd to figure out they're bootlegs....

this has been going on ever since the marketplace and used section went online.

i've even seen dvds with eps in divx advertised on it :ugh:

6. toast25K

toast25K Guest

they are just cheap imports. Friend of mine was telling me they release the anime through chinese distributors for sale in the chinese market where they sell for like fifteen dollars U.S.. Which is a lot of money in china on average it is a fourth of the normal workers salary. they resell them out of the chinese market to us americans for thirty dollars and make a killing.

7. tom3

tom3 ...

:ugh2:

8. Rorschach

Rorschach New Member

I cant begin to tell you whats wrong with this..

First of all there is no "they" releasing anime through chinese distrubuters.

They are bootlegs plain and simple.

There are two facts here... Official releases are either r1 or r2.. if it was an official release in China It would be r6 or r3 (HK)

They are region All.. some are just disks of .avi or mpegs files.. poorly made DVD's..

There is nothing official about these disks.. there is no collusion between the makers of the anime and these bootleggers.

9. I've bought imports, but all of them have released by either MANGA, AV, or FX. These are the official imports.

10. Rorschach

Rorschach New Member

You dont understand there is no official imports from those companies.

Sorry those are all illegal bootleg companies

---------------------------------------------
    Here is some basics:

What is a Bootleg?
    A bootleg is a DVD/ CD/ game/ any merchandise which has been created using licensed material without the consent of the studio’s or publisher. Bootlegs harm any industry where materials are being sold without the proper consent of the creators, since they are losing profit and their original creation may not be up to standards that they want. Bootlegs also often have horrendous transfers of the video on DVD, and the subtitles can be incoherent.

How to tell a Bootleg from a Real/ Import DVD
    There are many ways that can help you tell if the DVD you are about to buy is actually legit or a bootleg.

Signs of a bootleg
    1. All region DVD (region 0)
    If a DVD is listed as being All Region or a Region 0 DVD, most of the time it is a bootleg that you are buying. There are some exceptions (such as Iria) but for the most part this holds true.

All DVDs have coding for various regions, North America is Region 1 for example. It is also good to beware of buying legitimate imported DVDs because of the regional conflict (i.e. Region 1 DVD players and PS2’s do not support other region DVDs)

2. Chinese/English Subtitles
    Very few Japanese DVD’s have Chinese subtitles. If a DVD is being listed as being Japanese it would be strange that their would be Chinese subtitles. The same can be said for English subtitles, although some companies like Studio Ghibli release all their DVD’s with English subtitles.

3. Packaging/Disc Count
    Most 26 episodes series which are sold as a 3 disc import/Japanese set are bootlegs. If a series which is 26 episodes and is already or being released to the US has a count more than 3 DVD’s than that is a sure give away that it is a bootleg. Besides Japanese DVD’s usually only hold 1 or 2 episodes of any give series and the sets often span more than 10 DVD’s, so a 3 DVD “import” is highly unlikely. There are few series which are 3 DVD’s (such as blue seed) but many are not. Also if the packaging is shown as being a fold out cardboard case ala x-files sets that is another sign

4. Price
    If the DVD’s which are labeled as being Japanese were in fact from Japan the price would not be anywhere near the going rate of $45-75 for a three disc set. In Japan DVD’s are highly expensive normally going in the range of $45 dollars for one disc. If the price is too good to be true than it most likely is.

****Sites to be cautious of****

eBay.com
    Half.com
    Amazon.com

It can be a place where you find great deals but it is also a haven for imports. The extremely low prices are a tip-off. As long as you know what you are looking for you can often times find the real deal. But of course once again if it is labeled as import, is all region, or the price is too good to be true, it is. Amazon is similar to half.com if you buy from sellers on amazon and not directly from amazon/com itself. Many things are labeled as being Japanese Imports but are in fact bootlegs. Once again you have to know what you are looking for when shopping.

If you are buying from a retailer that isn’t listed here, just post a message and ask about it if you are uncertain and we can always double check and confirm or deny legitimacy for any item.

Common Bootleg Companies (i.e. if what you’re buying is by these people, it’s a bootleg):

FX

MAC

Animation Video / Anime Cartoon

MANGA INTERNATIONAL

EverAnime

Son May

"Gatefold Packaging" to the section you mention about it being in a "Cardboard case", since it seems every bootleg auction notes it in the description, and they don’t always post a picture of the packaging, but rather the cover (Which can look nearly identical to the R1 release).

Pictures and logos are sometimes the only way to tell a bootleg from an original (i.e. the "FX" Bebop bootleg is the same as the R1 box set, except has a green and red "FX" Logo on the bottom corner, a picture of the logo would help distinguish them).

While most are bootlegs, there are actually some licensed R3 titles w/English subs/dubs too. For a list of those and their publishers, visit this animeondvd.com forum thread:
    http://forums.animeondvd.com/showth...e=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=3#Post212758

For a list of R2 DVDs with English subs, visit this animeondvd.com forum thread:
    http://forums.animeondvd.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=972&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpar t=1

11. CD Silver_FOCI

CD Silver_FOCI Member

I have the Cowboy Bebop Bootleg. :wtc:

12. Sito

Sito Each To Their Own

:werd:

Also if you're looking for LEGIT dvd's you should know better than that. A whole boxed set going for $30? :o

13. TracerBullet

TracerBullet Active Member

-30>~-200