Amazon AWS Console - FINALLY

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SLED, Jan 9, 2009.

1. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

2. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

And with that I'd like to ask: what do people at c&p use amazon web services for?

I haven't learned about it yet, except a bit of S3.

3. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

Hosting apps is what I use it for mainly (EC2) with some data storage using S3.

4. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

My startup deploys to a Scalr server farm of EC2 instances, for complete redundancy of load balancers + mysql servers + apache application servers. Can throw one up in 10 minutes, and it auto-scales to accommodate traffic. Shit, I need to start working on the talk I'm giving on Scalr at Atlanta Cloudcamp.

We store files on S3. We distribute big uns via cloudfront.

I wrote a library, Net::Amazon::SimpleDB::Simple that makes using SimpleDB easy and I recently ported an application to use it. http://rjurneyopen.s3.amazonaws.com/SimpleDB/Simple.pm Got to get it on CPAN in the next week or two.

I've played around with SQS but haven't much used it for anything, it wasn't a good fit.

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Its kinda shitty that they let these startups pop up that do the same thing, and now upper cut them with this. At least its minimal, though.

6. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

woooow so basically with EC2 I can tell amazon "I need an apache server with mysql (I guess I wouldn't use S3?) and python and I need it to run this django app" and I'll pay for the data transfer and cpu time?

I want to pick the most basic idea of a web app I have to learn this stuff h m m m . . .

it sounds shweet anyhow :)