COMIC Amazing Stories is my favorite Comic Book Shop *pics*

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Chitty Chitty Gang Bang, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Chitty Chitty Gang Bang

Chitty Chitty Gang Bang OTCC

I've done a lot of hunting around for good comic shops in my area and have found close to nothing. Crunks knows what I'm talking about. A lot of people just order their shit but I'm all about the scenery, the one-on-one personal transactions and the ability to browse through actual merchandise.

We've got a local place called Vista that's open periodically...
    But I can't rely on a man who only opens his store whenever he "feels like it".
    I found a place called Amazing Stories in Vancouver, WA not too long ago.

Kicked ass, all sorts of neat back issues and whatnot. But the guy behind the counter had those thick glasses, tucked in flannel shirt and suspenders... and he tried to rope me into a chat about Star Trek when I was buying Venom comics. . . and their selection was kind of fail.

Luckily I found Amazing Stories' sister store in Astoria, OR on my way to pick up a friend from LongBeach. The guy who works there is awesome and the store itself... well, I'll let the pictures do the rest of my ranting:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And yes, there's even a case full of mini-statues and busts to catch Void's attention.

I'm making this place a monthly trip from now on. I get that same childish rush I use to get when I'd wander into Toys R' Us when I was 8. :wiggle:

2. Chitty Chitty Gang Bang

I'll be slapping up my own pics as soon as I can get them off my phone. The site doesn't even show anything from their second room which is just wall to wall comics and rare TPBs.

Edit: I was able to upload my pic to photobucket straight from my phone:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  3. Carlos The Elf

Carlos The Elf OT Supporter

Pretty badass.

4. kurupt

kurupt Active Member

clean comic shops ftw :bowdown:

5. siniquezu

siniquezu New Member

Look at all those Indiana Jones Comics :bowdown:

6. Crunks

Crunks Active Member

The dude that works at Vista is a straight up dick. I used to buy comics all the time, but I got tired of that dude being condescending. I loaded up my pull list with a shitload of comics, and then never went back.

I haven't been to Amazing Stories, but besides ordering off MidtownComics.com, this has always been my families go to place besides Vista :o

http://www.tfaw.com/

http://www.tfaw.com/Help/Store-Locations___25/?mode=storedetails&location=portland

Mike Choi (Artist on the Uncanny X-Men arc from the 70's, X-23 books) told me that he and Brian Michael Bendis both go there on occasion. :cool:

I also hear good things about this place.

http://www.cosmicmonkeycomics.com/index.html

7. CabbieNamedAxel

CabbieNamedAxel OTCC|SF OT Supporter

I hate the TFAW here, they're all condescending cocks and most of them treat the store like a hot topic and don't know shit about comics. The store in Gray's post looks like the one I go to now, albeit a bit more upscale and organized. PICS INCOMING.

8. CabbieNamedAxel

[​IMG]
    That spider-man is not chopped, it's an actual cardboard cut-out that hangs from the ceiling. The owner has a bit of a spider-man fetish, as you'll see later.

[​IMG]

Half of the trades, another bookshelf opposite it is filled with indie stuff.

[​IMG]
    Right in between two arcades.

[​IMG]
    There are a lot more toys/statues in the back. There was an additional space next door, but they had to close cause they couldn't keep up with double the rent.

[​IMG]

They have a little lounge area.

[​IMG]
    Coffeetable style books.

[​IMG]
    A very small sample of their back issues.

--INCOMING SPIDER-MAN ALERT--

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Again, this is only a small selection, the guy had an entire room called his spider-sactuary and it was wall to wall covered in anything spider-man. It's now spread throughout the entire store, but almost every conceivable spider-man statue, toy, oddity (spider-man tv? seen in the lounge pic) could be found there.

9. Chitty Chitty Gang Bang

First of all...
    LOL @ filling up the pull list and never going back. Perfect way of getting Justice.

Second of all,
    I quit going in when he decided to tell me the place wasn't a library.
    The only time I've ever seen him (His name's John btw) be semi-decent was when my friend Ryan went in and dropped $400 on random comics and shit.

10. Crunks

Crunks Active Member

Well, he wasn't that much of a prick to me, we had a few conversations about things and things were good. But the way he held himself and would say and imply things was kind of disrespectful. I once asked him about a Marvel Zombies book and when it was coming out, and I said the title wrong and thought it was going to be a mini series and he was like, "Well, first of all, it's blah blah blah. And second of all, it's a one shot, get your facts straight." Cool customer service bro :coolugh:

My brother used to buy comics from him in the mid 90s and told me himself he thought the guy was a douche.

11. Jimeigh

Jimeigh Every rook and jay in the corvidae have been raven

12. void

void oh yeah?

:eek3: :eek3: :eek3:

find out how much they want for that Dr Doom statue and get back to me :x: :noes:

13. Mortixer

Mortixer New Member

Find out how much they want for that awesome green goblin statue. I WANT SOOO MUCH

14. Mortixer

Mortixer New Member

yeah there are like 4 or 5 comic shops in my area and most of the suck. None of them are as large and wonderful as any of the ones you showed me pics of. The one i goto though is sooo great. The guy behind the counter knows his shit and hes freindly as hell. Hes not afraid to give away free shit like when invincble iron man came out and avengers invaders he was giving away the variant covers buy one get one free. Every week when comics come out there are like 8 or 10 dudes along with me that show up around 12. WE all stand around in the back issues while the owner opens up the boxes and goes one by one through all the new comics. Giving everyone the one they want and such. Its cool instead of being a dick and for those really rare varients upping them to like 15 or higher. He raffles em off for like a dollar a ticket. I realize he prob makes more money off of it and it feels more fair to me that i have just as much of a chance as anyone getting it and i dont have to empty my pockets to get it.

15. Mega-JC: Da Return

Mega-JC: Da Return Tiger Knee!

Thats a pretty nice shop :cool: I goto Action City comics in Federal way. Its 30 mins away from my house but I like the shop. Its dark and kind of cluttered but the owner is pretty cool.

16. 0wn3d_productivity

0wn3d_productivity OT Supporter

Damn, you guys have some nice shops. My closest one is pretty average. I do like going into NYC and hitting some of the bigger shops- I used to go a couple times a year.

17. Chitty Chitty Gang Bang

Sorry man, last time I went in there it was full of Batman statues.
    He had a Marvel Zombies: Venom vs. Spiderman statue that kicked ass...
    And Brood Wolverine which I wanted.

His prices seemed to range from $75 - $200 for 'em.
    I'm sure he'd be more than happy to reorder that Doom statue though.

18. Chitty Chitty Gang Bang

You ever want in on an Astoria trip lemme' know.
    I'm gonna start the monthly run next month with Jaron, I think.

19. Mortixer

Mortixer New Member

i really <3 the goblin statue. Although in my financial situation i cant afford to get statues. Maybe il get my gf to get me a sweey frank miller batman one for xmas

20. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

:eek3: i wish i had comic book shops like that around here

those are :bowdown:

21. CabbieNamedAxel

Next wednesday I'll ask about the statue, just to get a price range for you.

22. gringo

gringo I am addicted to that show...Intervention

Looks like a nice store. When I lived in Seattle, I always frequented Comic Stop. All the guys there were very nice. Here in OKC, the place I used to go to (New World Comics). The store is a clusterfuck, and the employees are kinda rude. There were many times that they would mess up my pull list and put it on the shelf. I would come the next week and it would be soldout. I only went a couple times a month to get my comics. I am going to start collecting trades from now on. Alot easier for me to read in all one sitting. If i was back in seattle, I would probably start collecting again.
    My wife wants to move to Astoria (same with me) and I would love to shop there.

23. void

void oh yeah?

that doom statue is sold out everywhere. If that's the full-sized statue, $200 for that is a STEAL.

24. Nader_D

Nader_D HAHAHEHHUH ---- POOOHhHhHHCHhh! OT Supporter

if i had thte money id love to start a comic shop. the problem is they are very hard to get started without having to go into the card game stuff :o