MMA Amateur MMA Fight

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Nomad, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

So my one of my good friends from college is really wanting to do an Amateur MMA fight, his BJJ is good (though he doesnt regularly go to a class), as well as he has a boxing background (can't remember what his record is). The guy is all around a semi-decent fighter. He asked me about finding an Amateur MMA fight, or something. I honestly have no idea where to begin so i just googled. Found a place in Sayreville, NJ ('bout 3 hours from where we live) that does Amateur MMA fights, but a lot of their stuff seems kinda weird/strange. Anyway here's what i want to know:

1) Other than the Athletic Commission stuff (liscence, etc.) what else does he need to do to be cleared to get an Amateur MMA fight?

2) Is he going to run into problems getting a bout due to not regularly training at a school?

3) Asylum Fighting League (www.asylumfightleague.com) seems decent but i have no base to compare it on. What does cage crew think of it?

4) Anyone know of any Amateur MMA fight opportunities near the south central PA area (Maryland/Va.?), since driving 3 hours doesnt seem that much fun (as well as having to be in Jersey :down:)

thanks

:wavey:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  2. teep

teep New Member

You don't need to go through the state athletic comission for amateur fights. in fact, in a lot of promotions you don't need much of anything. you just need to be cleared by the doctor there. sometimes you need to get an HIV test and have a recent physical.

if he wants a fight he should join a real gym and go through them. he could just contact any promoter himself though.

3. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

ok thanks for the info about the liscencing/doctor bit.

idk if he trained with a gym, he's been gone since last spring but is coming back this spring.

thanks for the info though! :wavey: