Amaena & winantivirus pop up spyware

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by NEOxMorpheus, May 21, 2006.

1. NEOxMorpheus

NEOxMorpheus Real OG

i keep getting amaena & winantivirius pop-ups on my computer. I ran Windows Defender and avast antivirus and they both did not find anything.
    any help?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Run them in Safe Mode.

3. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Also try finding and running Ewido security suite in safe mode. I've had decent luck with it.

4. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Try the trend micro online virus scan.
    http://www.trendmicro.com/hc_intro/default.asp

If you have SP2 for XP, try going into tools in Internet Explorer and to manage addons. You will probably have stuff in there from macromedia, sun micro, etc. What else is in there?

5. NEOxMorpheus

NEOxMorpheus Real OG

thanks for the suggestions. I found out the virus is called vundo. I used a vundo fix software program from a random forum site, which is pretty sketchy. I then used another vundo fix program from symantec, which I wished I used originally cuz symantec is more legit. anyways, I think its gone.

6. deusexaethera

Download "Sygate Personal Firewall" from www.download.com and install it in place of the Windows Firewall. The Sygate firewall is a lot better about telling the user about ALL of the traffic going in and out of your computer, so you can use it to see if there is still some evil program hiding in the shadows and working to pull more nastiness into your system.

One thing to look for is whether all of the programs on your computer mysteriously are all trying to contact the same IP address as soon as you turn your computer on. A good approach when using a firewall to troubleshoot viruses is to manually block every bit of outgoing traffic the first couple of times you see it, and then allow the traffic to pass only after you're sure it's legitimate.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I can't stand sygate.

The windows firewall and a decent SPF router is all that the average home user needs.

8. deusexaethera

Fine, then use whatever fucking firewall you prefer, but just about any firewall communicates with the user better than the Windows Firewall does.

Most people aren't going to be interesting in sifting through a router's traffic log to troubleshoot possible backdoor communications when a software firewall installed on their machine can just TELL them when a transmission is trying to get through. What happened to making things easy for "most people", hm?

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you haven't lived in the real world dealing with these "most people". Trust me, the Windows Firewall is PERFECT for them. I was pleasantly surprised to see Microsoft release it, and my experience has been it does enough without doing too much -- which is what causes problems. Very good on MS for releasing what they did.

10. deusexaethera

I'm sorry, Jolly, but you're just wrong. That little bit of nonsense proves that you are no less full of shit than you think I am. On what basis do you claim that I don't live in the real world? Where's your proof? Personally, I think it's bullshit. I do live in the real world, and what I've seen is that all but the most computer-illiterate people would rather have a computer that tells them what's going on instead of a computer that lets them stay ignorant.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I said "real world dealing with most people" don't take me out of context.

And you by-admission do not live in this environment.

Furthermore, ask anyone in this (or any other) forum that actually deal with the public and they will confirm that giving a user a popup when they don't know what it means is a BAAAAAD idea.

12. deusexaethera

Well, I suppose you can just contradict everything I say forever, it doesn't make you any more correct in this case. Good night.

13. 7960

7960 New Member

But he's right. I installed zone alarm on some friends' computers because I really liked it. Even though I gave them pretty specific instructions, I later found out they just clicked "allow" all the time because they didn't feel like reading the pop-up. So basically the firewall was useless. MS firewall is pretty good for everyday use by non-computer people.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

:werd: Microsoft did their research when developing that firewall, and they did a damn good job, imho.

15. deusexaethera

And are these friends of yours the kind of people who would ask for help online about how to remove a virus from their computer and then actually try to do it? Or are they the kind of people who would instead call Dell/HP/Gateway tech support, or the Geek Squad, or just try to ignore the problem?

The guy who posted this thread clearly falls in the first category, which is why I gave him an answer that can help him continue his effort to fix his problem himself.

16. 7960

7960 New Member

So you're changing the situation? You started in with "most people" and for "most people" MS firewall is going to be fine. Give them any more control and "most people" will fuck it up.

I thought they bought it and integrated it into windows.... either way, doesn't matter.

17. deusexaethera

"Most people" was in reference to Jolly's general solution of an SPF router, which "most people" would not know how to interpret the traffic logs of in order to track down communications they don't approve of.

"These friends of yours" was in reference to, well, the friends that you yourself mentioned. YOU changed the context, not I. I just continued the discussion after the context was changed.

The ORIGINAL context, which is technically the only one that SHOULD matter, is the context of the one guy who ASKED the question, and he has demonstrated a level of skill that "most people" don't necessarily have.

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

*most people* won't need to read the traffic logs. DLink, Netgear, and Linksys all make consumer-grade SPF firewalls that require little/no configuration out of the box.

19. deusexaethera

Yes, most people don't need traffic logs, but will you PLEASE try to stay on-track? THIS GUY -- the guy who STARTED THE THREAD -- is looking for a way to make sure his computer is virus/spyware-free. That means he DOES need to know what communications are being sent over his internet connection. And Sygate Personal Firewall can do that more easily and visibly than a hardware firewall can.

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

And less reliably :p

21. deusexaethera

So suggest your own solution, but make it one the guy is likely to actually use, or else your commentary is worthless.

22. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I always suggest a fresh start, and pro-active maintanance is the ONLY maintanance.

Format, re-install. Use XP SP2, Use Windows Firewall. Use at least a NAT router, preferably one with SPF. Run a properly updated AVG Free. Use Spybot S&D, Adaware, MS anti-spyware, regularly. Don't install stupid shit. Use Opera instead of MSIE.