Am I using the right products for my car? *pics*

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by archangel, Jun 4, 2004.

1. archangel

archangel Active Member

[​IMG]

Its a black 2001 Audi. In the past I would only wash and wax. But from reading the forums i realize that some kind of polish needs to be used...so i picked up #7. Not sure if thats the right one for my car, but i hope so..it says clearcoat safe. #7 got rid of cob webbing that I'd see in the bright sun, but IS it too abrasive for the age of my car? I think my paint is in pretty alright condition for a 3yr old car. My paint doesnt feel glass smooth so I read that a claybar will help that...will pick one up this weekend.

Finally, I notice some streaking in the bright sunlight when I use the Quik Detailer. So if you guys could prescribe the right products for my car...i'd appreciate it.

2. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

#7 is not too abrasive for your paint... it's mostly oils.

Re-read the Product List sticky for suggestions on other products to use.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

#7 will fill light cobweb swirls, #9 (or one of Meguairs Pro grade swirl removers like #82 or #80) will remove them. #7 has no abrasives to speak of and #82 and #80 have diminishing abrasives, meaning as you work them, they break down into a super light polish. They are more than safe for your paint.

Don't use QDs in the sun and they won't streak.

4. archangel

archangel Active Member

ok so should I use a #9, #82, or a #80 instead of #7? :)

5. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

you can use all 3 use 82 then 9 then 7 this is what i do on most of my higer end cars leaves teh paint super smooth

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Use one of them first. Honestly though, all three break down enough that you can go straight to wax if you wish. Of those three, I prefer #80. Just used it today on a BMW 750Li since it needed some polishing. Even though the car looked pretty good before polishing (just some light cobwebbing), you could after doing just half the hood how nicely #80 polishes, paint looked noticably smoother, wetter and deeper.

You can follow with #7 if you want for an even deeper look. I usually just go to Meguiars NXT Tech Wax after #80.