MMA Am I sandbagging?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Bausk, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I've been grappling for about 3+ years, very on and off mostly all no-gi. In the last year I've actually started taking BJJ seriously and only in the last 6 months has my school had a true curriculum for testing stripes/belts. The first time I tested I went straight to 4 stripes White. This past weekend (3 months later) I could have tested for my Blue and easily gotten it, but I decided not to.

I have fought once in MMA, constantly roll and do ok/well against other Blue, Purple, and decent against the Brown belt at our school (I don't submit him obviously but can at least survive a lot of the time). I have never competed in BJJ or No-Gi grappling. I want to do at least 1 competition at White belt before testing for my Blue to see how I do and how I compare. It's also hard because there is usually about 2 grappling tournaments all year in Michigan.

I've never really taken my grappling seriously until this past 6-12 months, and I never cared about my rank. But now it feels like I'm going from 1 stripe to a Blue Belt in "6 months". I already made my decision, I just want some feedback from my Cage BRO'S.

2. Sylva

Sylva New Member

I think you'll be surprised at how different competition is vs. gym training.

3. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Like how (in your experience)? I have no idea other than when I fought MMA, and I'm sure grappling is different obviously. Which is why I want to compete. The other guys at my gym who compete semi regularly say I should just compete at Blue Belt based on when they roll with me, and they would know. But I want to do 1 at White, at least. :hs:

4. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

I wouldnt say its sandbagging. Sandbagging you are going in knowing you are far more skilled and experienced and are doing it to get an easy win. Sounds like you are doing this more so to see where you are at and test yourself.

And it all depends how much you put into it. 3 years for one guy can be the same as 1 year for a total gym rat. Its all relative.

5. Sylva

Sylva New Member

So do one at white.

Everyone steps it up for competiton, intensity wise, I think you should get in there and see how you do at first at the competition level. If you totally school everyone in your class, go the next class up at the next tourney.

6. Bausk

Bausk New Member

:coold:

7. Shrug

Shrug Die in a Kimbo fight

where in michigan do you train?

8. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Martial Arts Unlimited in Clawson, MI
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Combat Submission Wrestling, Savate kickboxing, Muay Thai kickboxing, Kettlebells, and other arts.

9. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

no its not sandbagging. I wrestled for 2 years, and did bjj 4 days a week for 2 years and 9 months with 3 tournament 1st places before getting promoted to blue. I am a firm believer that it is much better to get promoted once you have no doubt you are ready to compete at that level and win.

I think once you are tapping out every white belt at your gym in the gi, and also tapping out a handful of blues, or at least dominating them positionally (also in the gi), you are ready.

10. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

The main thing is preparing for the 5 minute/6 minute time limit, as well as consecutive matches. Unless you have an unlimited supply of cardio, you have to have some experience in this aspect to strategize how you spend your energy and what gameplan you go in with.

11. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

That's awesome. Congrats on being a "real" blue.

12. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

It's not easy having to go for more rounds. I think you'll do well, just do your best when you compete. Maybe you'll get lucky and a blue will try to sneak in as a lower rank and you'll school him when he thought he had an easy win lol.

It's so true about cardio though, nothing worse than the fear of being more tired than your opponent. 5/6 minutes sounds like nothing, but when you are having to move around a lot in a crappy position trying to better it, those minutes can seem like a lifetime.

13. Bragasaurus

Bragasaurus New Member

i as well say give it a go at white and see what the comp is like. but at the same time you have to respect yourself and give yourself a good challenge, so i wouldn't dwell in white for long if I were in your situation.

14. Exiled

Exiled New Member

I would do the bluebelt division, I wouldn't really call you a sandbagger if you did white belt but if you did it again, and again then I would.. but with your experience i'd do blue

15. Exiled

Exiled New Member

Was that sarcasm?

16. Bausk

Bausk New Member

No, I'm sure he was referring to lots of other people now that get their blue belts very easily.

17. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Word.

And as far as conditioning, we usually do 5 minute rounds regularly, and usually 3 in a row every night. Some times like this past Sunday we up it to 10 minutes and pace a little more, or this past Saturday drop it to 3 minutes but up the intensity to balls-to-the-wall. Usually a few weeks before comps, the people who are competing play monkey in the middle a few times... and roll 20 minutes straight with new partners rotating in every 2 minutes (no rest).

18. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

how do you guys get the cardio for this? :o

19. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

That's actually good. If you're going to compete get it in your head that they might be a bit better, stronger, faster, prepare the crap out of it. If you can find a way to push yourself in those last minutes do it. Sounds to me like you got a good pace set already though. 10 min rounds are a killer, at least for me, it feels like an eternity when I'm getting whooped.

20. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

I was being genuine.

21. Bausk

Bausk New Member

You usually are sucking wind or dying the first few weeks of it then you just get used to it. Or you don't... and do it anyways.

22. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Check out my log for the sort of conditioning and prep I am doing for the tourney.

Jesus.