Am I right on this?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Scottwax, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

2. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

i agree with you, i hate when people post 500 pictures when they could have just posted 10

when i see your threads, they always have a ton of pictures, but they are of ~5 different cars, if it was just one car, i would probably just scroll down fast and skim, then close out the thread

3. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Some of the replies to that thread :ugh2:

I agree -- tons of pictures piss me off unless it's in a thread specifically meant to be describing and demonstrating a specific technique on a test panel.

4. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

I agree with you completely. I think the most pics I've had in any post has been maybe 20.

5. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

Thanks for the kind words Scott.

I hate...
    Pics of every damn panel with a before and after.
    You get the point if you just pick the worse panel and show IT.

Pics of the detailer over and over again.
    Really don't get this. I did use to take reflection shots of myself but that was to show the depth and clarity.....not to show me!

It somehow has become a competition instead of a helpful post. That's all I tried to make mine.

6. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

I posted over there as well.

Seems like a colossal waste of time for a professional detailer to take 150 pics of the same car. My computer is fast, my camera is decent, I have actions set up in Photoshop to resize and add a watermark- it's as streamlined as it can be. But it'd still add an extra 2 hours to my day to perform that process.

I'm committed to making money, not to showing off. I take 10-15 pics of a car, and only half of them come out good enough to go on my website.

7. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

I do take alot of pics of certain cars. I just upload them to photobucket and save them there. I pic twenty and move on. If a customer ever needs to sell their vehicle, I have pics for them to post up on sites.

I simply started my write ups to help others and who knows, one day it may pay off.

8. BlazinBlazer Guy

Same here. All you're doing though is saying "a lot of the 'professional' detailers on Autopia are hardly real professionals, they're just hobbyists who call themselves professionals"

:mamoru:

9. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

So true. I believe that.

10. Scottwax

There are a lot of weekend warriors in the pro section on autopia. Not to take anything away from their work (a lot of them are very good detailers) but making you living detailing is a lot different than doing it on the side.

11. Juztang

Juztang www.obsessivedetail.com

I think the amount of pictures some of these guys post are just ridiculous. I hate going through a thread that has a ton of pictures.

12. Scottwax

Some of them over there just don't get it. The excess of pictures makes it hard to follow their threads because you end up scrolling past the 90 before and after shots to get the final result.

13. BlazinBlazer Guy

:werd: When I detail for a customer, I take enough time to grab pics for marketing purposes (for example, I send customers a post card with an "after" pic of their vehicle on it to remind them it's time to schedule another detail) or if I am going to demo a new technique or something, but otherwise I'm too damn busy and in too much of a hurry to dick around like that.

14. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

I've detailed a handful of cars from my local club, was grossly underpaid by someone who doesn't know any better, it took me two and a half days- but I took 11ty pics and posted it in the Pro section. Where's my Fortune 500 membership?

I've had the same thought about that website and it's Pro section for a while. Pretty easy to consider yourself a successful business when you undercharge, work on the weekend and don't need that detailing money to survive.

:werd:

And if you pull someone's card on a site like that you really risk becoming the hub in their circle jerk and instantly ostracized. Lots of thin skin out there when you leave OT.

15. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax New Member

i take about 6-10 maximum, if you can't get your point accross at that point, give up and try chess

16. Scottwax

Some of the more complex details (full corrections), I can see needing a total of 30 to maybe 40 pictures to fully convey the process, but I can't see a need for 150+ like some of these guys post.

And seriously, how do they find the time if they are as busy as they claim like others have pointed out? Even when doing a correction detail, I simply don't have time to take 100+ pictures. I want to get the work done so the customer's car isn't tied up any longer than it needs to be. Not to mention the time it takes to go through and resized and compress the pictures for posting, uploading them and doing the write-up. If you will go through the pro detailer's before and after forum, you will noticed I don't do that many write-ups. I have probably 1000 pictures from the past year that I haven't even posted-and that works out to 60-70 cars. I just flat don't have the time to do the write-ups.

17. Scottwax

Would this be the same guy who made the thread about doing washes and being able to make $250k a year? He wasn't taking into account weather, customer and worker attrition, etc. Not to mention that washing cars is breathtakingly boring when you do it regularly.

18. BlazinBlazer Guy

Reminds me of a guy on Detail City I read a couple threads from, who claims to run his entire business using products purchased at the Dollar Store which gets him a "loyal following in his niche market" because he can work for less money than people using real professional products :hsugh:

Too bad when comparing prices per ounce most of the Meguiar's products a lot of us use cost the same or less than his dollar store shit :mamoru:

19. Scottwax

Wow. So instead of using 10 cents of product total to wax a car, he is using 8 cents. :rofl:

20. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

The cheap stuff is $5/gallon, pricey stuff is $25/five gallons.

That's $20 in savings right there and then I invest it as part of my retirement plan. So when everyone else is retired- I can still buy supplies and detail cars for cheapskates!