MIL Am I out of luck on this?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Anima, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Anima

Anima OT Supporter

I am interested in a career in law enforcement, however with the hiring freezes for police officers in my area and with how competitive it is, I figured I would get some direct experience behind me before applying. I did some research into a rating (MA) that seemed interesting and was relevant to civilian law enforcement experience. Unfortunately, it seems as if I may not qualify as I was diagnosed with bi-polar/depression at age 11:

Can anyone confirm that this would be a no-go for me? I was medicated on and off from about 11 until about 4 years ago, but I haven't taken any medication since, nor have I seen a psychiatrist for it in that time...not sure if that would help my case or not and if I could get a waiver to bypass it or not. To be honest, it's not obvious at all I have it, as I am a fairly shy/quiet person and I have learned to keep it in check really well over the years. I just wouldn't want to waste either mine or the recruiter's time if it's a definite no-go scenario.

The other option I was considering was 31B in the Army, as I did not see anything in the job requirements that would disqualify me, but my brother in law (who is currently a 31B) said to stay away from that MOS.

2. The Method

The Method Lurker In Progress

First of all, I don't think that would automatically disqualify you.

Second, don't bring it up. Ever. Don't mention it and don't admit to it and you should be fine.

3. Kafka

Kafka New Member

But you're implying that you did see a psych for that medication from age 11?

You'd obviously need to disclose that on your sf86 (security form). The form does have a question where it asks whether you have ever had mental therapy or counseling. That said, it's not an automatic disqualification or anything. It's just something they need in your clearance info.

You probably don't need to disclose the medications on the medical form though as I think they only ask for medications you're currently taking.

4. Anima

Anima OT Supporter

I'm hesitant about lying about it, as I'm sure it would come back to bite me in the ass. The job requires a secret security clearance, so I'm sure it would show up on the background check too.

Yeah, I did see a psych on and off for regular appointments and for the medication. I had a feeling I'd have to disclose it, but I was afraid it would automatically disqualify me. Good to know that its not grounds for automatic disqualification. I just wanted to make completely sure before going in to seeing a recruiter, because I'm certain if I didn't get it they would hound me trying a rating I wouldn't be interested in.

5. Kafka

Kafka New Member

I'm filling out the same form you'll be filling out soon, the questions aren't to nitpick, they're to determine a particular trend you might have that could pose as a security issue.

You're right about being honest and upfront, seeing that this stuff occurred when you were 11, it was obviously done because your parents thought it was best and when you were barely a preteen.

Good luck man.

6. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

They don't do shit for a secret clearance. Make sure you don't have felonies, credit check, etc nothing about your medical history.

7. The Method

I understand it requires a security clearance. I have one. My advice is still to not bring it up.

Kafka - why are you posting advice about something you have no experience with? i.e. anything in this subforum?

8. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

Don't bring it up. It has nothing to do with your clearance.

9. Kafka

Kafka New Member

The Method -
    [​IMG]

Take the stick out of your ass. I'm just reading off the specific question from sf86 asking if the person has had psych visits. I'm filling out the form myself. It's question 21. :dunno:

If you wanna give advice contrary to that based on your military experience and prestigious bachelor's degree in a foreign language well that's your prerogative

But I'm free to post in here too. Sorry if that offends you dawg.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  10. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

And your advice is better?

11. Kafka

Kafka New Member

Sounds like a cool rating from what I just googled, too bad the experience was different for you. :hs:

12. Anima

Anima OT Supporter

Damn, that's a little disheartening to hear. :hs: Deployment doesn't bother me at all, as dumb as this may sound I actually want to go overseas and it's one of the reasons why I picked Navy. I just looked up IS on the http://usmilitary.about.com website and the requirements seem pretty tough, including a top secret clearance with a single scope background investigation.

Thinking I'd have a hard time passing that, with my mental health background, plus I had a shoplifting charge on me about 8 years ago right after my 18th birthday. Extremely embarressing to admit; I was a stupid kid at the time. I was a minor at the time I was caught but by the time the case got thru the courts I was already 18 and was charged as an adult. Granted it has been expunged off my record but I imagine it would still show up and show as a character flaw and an issue of trust. My brother in law who is currently serving in the army and is giving me advice about joining the service has told me that confidential and secret clearance shouldn't be too much trouble to obtain, but given my history top secret would be very challenging and probably out of the question.

I'll probably keep MA on the list, as I doubt I will get into IS. Are there any more law enforcement type ratings/MOS that I should look into?

13. The Method

save your cute little pictures for the main forum, stay there for good if you want... If you wanna give advice based on your living off of your parents and going to graduate school while not having actually done anything in life other than give your inexperienced opinion on this forum, that's your your prerogative. Some people come into this forum asking questions because they're hoping the people answering them will have experience and knowledge of the subject. Not that some know-it-all who jumps into every barracks thread he can will fill them with b.s.
    based on my experience, and the experience of dozens of others I worked with in the military who held clearances? Yes.

14. brackac

So, telling someone to lie on government paperwork just because there is a 99% chance the government will not check is good advice to you?

15. brackac

The measure of a man's real character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out. ~Thomas Babington Macaulay

Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters. ~Alan Simpson

Character is much easier kept than recovered. ~Thomas Paine

16. The Method

I'm living in the real world, have fun with the internet idealist thing though.

17. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

Title 18 Section 1001

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, whoever, in any matter within the jurisdiction of the executive, legislative, or judicial branch of the Government of the United States, knowingly and willfully—
    (1) falsifies, conceals, or covers up by any trick, scheme, or device a material fact;
    (2) makes any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation; or
    (3) makes or uses any false writing or document knowing the same to contain any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or entry;
    shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 5 years or, if the offense involves international or domestic terrorism (as defined in section 2331), imprisoned not more than 8 years, or both

Cliffs:
    Don't lie, if found it is likely no charges will come up but lying will harm your chances more than the medical will.

18. Anima

Anima OT Supporter

Yeah, don't want to risk getting thrown out with dishonorable discharge and/or jail time. Not to mention I wouldn't feel right knowing I got the job being dishonest. :hs:

19. brackac

So you go through life lying? Why not advocate lying about drug usage, criminal history, or political beliefs also? Where do you draw the line? What is acceptable and what is not?

20. DawnsKayBug

DawnsKayBug New Member

Can you even qualify to be a cop as it is??
    Alos not that BT is that hard but you sure you can hide it when your with 30 people 24/7 for 8 weeks?? And if you cant and they find out yer screwed.

21. Anima

Anima OT Supporter

From what I've been told, it depends on the department. There are some departments such as the town I live in where they are extremely strict and won't even hire you if you have been medicated for depression even if it was just as a child or if you don't have at least a 4 year degree but there are other departments such as the city where you just need experience wether it be military or mall security.

What do you mean by BT?

Regardless, I plan on disclosing everything and being truthful. I don't want to lie and have it come back and bite me in the ass.

22. solarsrt4

solarsrt4 New Member

I wouldn't lie to your recruiter or on any forms i submit to the military.

23. SofaKingKong

SofaKingKong New Member

http://www.opm.gov/Forms/pdf_fill/sf86.pdf

"In the last 7 years years have you consulted with a health care professional regardeing emotional or mental health condition or were you hospitalized for such a condition?"

24. trev.the.enemy

trev.the.enemy New Member

I never post in here, but I lurk a lot...

.. Myself and 2 others(that I know of anyway) got kicked out of basic for doing just that. We had RIP in our contracts with a letter of intent to attend Selection given we passed RIP/Airborne, etc... Anyways, we all 3 lied about prior injuries or mental conditions and the Army caught it. All of them were things which occurred in our childhood.

Do. Not. Recommend. Lying. My 1SG told me had I not lied at MEPS, I would've been in the clear regardless. Biggest mistake of my life. :hs:

25. Anima

Anima OT Supporter

Consulted, yes. Hospitalized, no. I realize it's a factor against me but I'm hoping I can still get in. :hs: