Am I making use of the V-Drive feature on my Alpine HU?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Danno, May 23, 2003.

1. Danno

Danno Bronx Poodle OT Supporter

I got an Alpine CDA-9813 as a gift...part of the "gift" was having it installed at Circuit City of all places.

Anyways, I was reading through some of the book, and read on the internet somewhere, that the head unit needs to be fused directly to the battery. When CC installed it they simply hooked up the wiring harness and antenna wire and called it an "install"...no direct fuse to the battery.

My question is, will I be getting the full 60 x 4 rating without having it fused? Is the V-Drive even being used?

2. surfzup2k

surfzup2k Guest

It will be fine. It probably puts out more like 20-30w RMS anyways. It may peak out at 60w per channel, but it would never do that RMS.

3. Danno

Well, I knew it wouldn't put out even half the numbers it listed at RMS, but the few places I read about the HU said that to get "full potential" out of the HU, it needs to be directly fused....

No matter though, when my sub comes in (hopefully next week), I will be buying an amp for my front stage.

4. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

i'd go ahead and have it hooked to the battery, using a fuse 12 inches from the battery and about 10awg wire. you don't have to though. they are 27wrms and use a higher amp fuse than some low power stereo amps, so you might notice some strain on your system if you don't.

5. Audiophile

Audiophile boom boom

i have that same deck. mine is wired through the harness and not directly to the battery. sounds great.

6. Danno

I'll probably have to talk to you after I get my Brahma installed, on some of the setting of the HU.

7. Whalephat

Whalephat Conservative Bastard

I've got the CDA-9815 and would have wired it straight to the battery had I elected to use the internal V-Drive amp. It's cheap insurance against overloading your car's OEM wiring harness and causing a meltdown or, worse yet, an electrical fire.