Am I Gettn Ripped Off?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Prelude_Guy, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Prelude_Guy

Prelude_Guy New Member

broken car specs...
    its a Plymouth Laser or watever olddddd car,manual...looks kinda like the mitsubishi ..has a bump on the hood...but anyways....

ok so i was driving the other day like about 35-40 miles..and all of a sudden i heard a weird noise fron unda the hood and all of a sudden my car turn off on me right after i heard the noise. so i had to push the car into a nearby parking lot. then took it to the shop. Today i call the guy and ask him whats wrong with my car, he said the timing belt is broken and the water pump is leaking. i ask him how much u askin for it , he said 450. Does that sound like a rip off to you guys? i asked 3 people..2 of em said yea , 1 said no its about right.

the 2 people who said yeah its a rip off said it should only be bout 80-100-150$, 200 the most to fix (timing belt alone) . i need ur guys oppinion. sorry i dont kno much about cars and i dont wanna get rip off..thanks in advance

oh yeah! and i heard sometimes the timing belt can fuck up ur engine too? whats this about?

(ignore the water pump , the main thing i wanna kno is how much u guys think fixing the timing belt should cost?)

2. SporkLover

SporkLover New Member

80 - 100 - 150.... 200 at the most? the first guy is confused... this isnt a serpentine belt its a timing belt. If you snapped it there will need to be additional work to get it running again.

I would think 300 - 350 would be normal

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

depends if it's an interference or non-interference motor.

If it's a non-interference motor, then it's fine... Just need a new timing belt. I've done this myself in my Volvo (transversely-mounted inline-5) and it took a few hours, but was do-able. The dealership had charged me $350 in the past, and since the volvo dealerships tend to be on the high-side with the scale of monetary burden, that should give you an idea... Also, the volvo whiteblock is an interference motor.... so doing it wrong would kill the engine, basically.

Now, if it's an interference motor (like my volvo whiteblock) and the timing belt broke, then you're fucked. Bent valves and who knows what else. BAD situation to be in.

4. RICKIEFRAT

RICKIEFRAT La Cosa Nostra

Call a dealer or do some research on-line to first see if the engine is a interference or non-interference motor. If its interference ~ junk the car. You could problaly replace the car for the amount it would cost you to fix it.

Find a Car Forum just for that car and ask questions. Try ~

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=343

5. hav_lova

hav_lova New Member

my brother broke a timing belt several months back in the end it cost $3500 to fix it. a bearing seized. a pulley stripped. belt snapped. all exhaust valves bent. $3500 and the car is now mine

6. Prelude_Guy

Prelude_Guy New Member

my dad told me theres this one guy he knows who will fix my broken vavles for 350...sound right?

7. WhiteSSP

WhiteSSP OT Supporter

I dont think they're interference motors.

8. Prelude_Guy

Prelude_Guy New Member

this is what the car looks like [​IMG]

9. dodge16vrt

dodge16vrt New Member

They are interference motors and WILL bend valves if the belt breaks. I have worked on many of these and it is quite rare for them not to bend valves.$350 is a low price on the repair. We just did my friends car and it cost him the belt, water pump, head, valves and gaskets. It was around $600 and labor was free.

10. dodge16vrt

dodge16vrt New Member

Oh and the majority of Jap cars are interference motors. Not fun.

11. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

I'm suprised a few of the pistons weren't damaged.

12. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

if you have to ask, you probably are

13. dodge16vrt

dodge16vrt New Member

Most of the time the pistons are ok, they may have some minor nicks but usually nothing worth worrying about. The biggest problem is the head being damaged. When the vales bend they usually damage the head.