A&P Am i dumb for wanting to trade my 30d plus 200 for a 8k shutter 1d classic?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by turbodude, Jun 21, 2008.

1. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

Something about the 1d i want soooo bad. I want the focus, i want the bigger sensor, i want the 1/500 flash sync, hell even the 1/16000 shutter speed. My 30d is ok... but i dont like the focus when compared to my 40d. I dont care what anyone says its slower and less accurate in low light and hell of alot slower in AI servo. I feel its no longer a good back up for my 40d for what i do.

with the 1d and 40d combo, i will have the best of both worlds. Fast accurate AF in both, 1d being the superior for kids sports, 40d for longer distance due to its 1.6 crop, creamier bokeh with the 1.3 crop, sharpness with the 1d. Fast enough FPS for both for red carpet. 30d lacked some when other paparazzi are around, they fire off with a quickness with their 1dmkx's.

Here is my current setup.
    40d and 30d
    550ex and 580ex with cp-e3s for both
    18-50 macro 2.8, 70-200 2.8 with 1.4x, 30 1.4, 20 1.8.

What i would sell is the 18-50 2.8 in favor of the 24-70 2.8 macro (sigma, optically the same if not better than the L, i dont care about L's) and also buy a 100-300 f4 for spy shots and kids sports :)

all in all spend an extra 800-1000 for dual purpose sports, celeb spying, and motorsports kit. with reach up to 420mm @ 5.6.

what do you think. My niche is Event/nightclub, Youth sports (Peewee - High school), motorsports, portrait, and celeb-paparazzi/redcarpet.

2. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

Not worth it IMO. 30D images are usually much better than 1D classics. Especially beyond 400 ISO. I dunno, the 1D's were stellar cameras years ago but are lacking when compared to even 30D's. They have some good advantages but nothing that would make me want one. Can't sell the 30, save up and look for MKII?

3. turbodude

thats the thing it wont be going above iso400. and image quality is on par if not better than the 30d. Images are sharper and colors are better. and sinc ei dont print higher than 11x14 normally. i think 4.1 mp should be fine.

4. isaac86hatch

Hmm, last 1D classic RAW images I saw were not all that good, quality wise. In fact they reminded me a lot of 10D/300D images. I'm not the best person to talk to though. I used one for a few months and was just not happy with the results. I love the way it functioned, but not the overall output. Really though if you like it, that's all the matters. Have you shot with one yet? I take it this deal is over then internet so you can't play with it first?

5. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

I would take a 30D over a 1D classic.

6. Keegan

Keegan New Member

As I posted on POTN, I'd go for the 1D.
    The AF on the 1D wins hands down and once you use it you'll never go back.

7. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

Sure it can focus, but the pictures look like poopoo. CCD > You

8. turbodude

I dunno man, i have used the 1d pretty extensively the images do not look like poo poo... Not for what i am gonna use it for. Which is kids sports. selling prints to parents. And Red Carpet Celeb photos, which we all know image quality doesnt have to surpass a 8x10 print.

Compared to the 1dmkiii it must blow donkey ass. but with my 30d i miss the shot completely. Blurred shots for sports (usually ends in focusing on teh background) or Completely blown out from someone elses flash on teh red carpet. :(

9. isaac86hatch

I trust your shooting skills, but I have never had that many problems with my 10Ds/20Ds/30Ds etc. I sense you having camera envy around well-paid paparazzi who all sport 1Ds.

10. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

stick with your 30d.. save up for a newer one if you really want it.

11. turbodude

thinking of selling the 30d and getting another 40d.

12. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

I miss my 1d :hs: Although it was 'only' 4mp, the files have a certain look to them, very sharp. Only negative was battery life and higher ISO's. When they get down to a few hundred, I'm gonna snap one up.