Am I doing too much cardio?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by lawrencel715, Jun 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lawrencel715

lawrencel715 New Member

Sorry for the newbie post, but I haven't seen many threads about cardio or toning. So I'm a 5'7", 150lb male. Been working out for 2 years, and have seen noticeable results. I weigh the same as I did 2 years ago, which is a good thing. I'm not looking to lose weight. I'd prefer maintaining my weight, but wouldn't mind gaining some if it means more muscles. So I guess that means I'm trying to tone (fat -> muscle)?

The main issue here...

So I've had this 2 year habit of doing 25-30 minutes of cardio. I used to do 30 all at the beginning before stretching (20 minutes on elliptical and 10 minutes running), but I figured that was too much, and that I'm probably burning muscle doing that.

Now, I do 7.5 minutes of elliptical and 8 minutes of running, stretch, do half of my lifting routine, then the same amount of cardio. So that's still about 30 minutes of cardio, except I stretch and split the amount into 2 sessions.

You brolies probably feel cardio are for pansies, but I'm not trying to be broly. Just looking to tone and get that six-pack.

*Background note: I workout 3 times a week, with each session being the same workout (I know I should split between upper and lower body workout or something like that, but I'll worry about that some other time)*

2. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Nothing wrong with a full body 3x weekly workout.

25-30 minutes of cardio is easy to compensate for calorie-wise, but if you're trying to put on muscle you're going to need to eat more and accept that you have to put on some fat to put on muscle.

3. Chris3G

Chris3G Bullshark Testosterone

if your weight is staying the same, beyond your first year of working out, i'd guess you are no longer getting results. Once your noob gains are over, if your weight is staying the same, you are not losing fat and you are not building muscle. You're going to need to adjust your diet and decide whether you want to add some more mass, or be happy with what you have and drop some fat.

also you cannot turn fat into muscle or vice-versa.

4. lawrencel715

lawrencel715 New Member

thanks for the responses. yea i don't monitor my diet, so i don't expect great results. my whole point of working out at the beginning was so that i won't feel bad for going out to eat a lot and not worrying about what i eat. it's not like i eat crap like chips all day. it's more like a lot of rice, beef, and occasional sweets.

as for the no longer getting results part, i don't see that as being too true. it may not be noticeable week by week, but even after the one year point, i saw a change in body shape every 2-3 months or so. it's progressing slowly but surely.

so on the whole thing about eating more. on a muscle-gain standpoint, and not health, would i be wasting time burning 500 calories from cardio, which i currently do? is it the same to consume 2000 calories with no cardio as it is to consume 2500 calories with cardio that burns 500 calories (let's assume that the running doesn't affect the metabolism, and that 500 is 500)?

5. V!

V! New Member

Perhaps you should split up your workout

Do cardio on the days you arent' lifting

6. broccoli

broccoli New Member

you're going pretty hard if you're burning 500 cals in 30 minutes with cardio @ 150 lbs.

7. Chris3G

from weight loss/gain standpoint, it would be the same.

8. lawrencel715

lawrencel715 New Member

yea i go pretty hardcore because i'm lazy, if that makes sense. i rather do half an hour of cardio losing that much than an hour. i also don't want to split up my work days because working out would be a chore if i did it 6 days a week. so it's all in one for me...the cardio, upper bod, lower bod.

i'm not sure if the machines are accurate, but on the elliptical, i go from height 20 at resistance 10, then 15, 10, 5, 1 for height every 1:30 minutes, while keeping resistance at 10. Not sure if those numbers mean anything since different machines have different numbers, but the one i use has 20 at max for height, and 20 max for resistance. For running, i run at 7.5mph for the first minute, then 8, 8.5, and 9 for the following 3 minutes. i then go 9.5 at 4:00, 10 at 4:20, and 10.5 at 4:40. When it hits 5 minutes, i decrease the speed by .5 every 15 seconds until it goes down to 3.5mph (moderate walking speed). that takes it to about 8:30.

i read on one of the stickies about a guy suggesting the all in one method for 3 days is effective, but it says close to nothing about cardio, and just mentioned the types of weight lifting. again, i'm a lazy ass who wants to just work 3 times a week. no filling in cardio for me on off days.

9. V!

V! New Member

That's right near 17cals/minute on the eliptical

Pretty intense, assuming you are on a high resistance

10. V!

V! New Member

I would do cardio first then do all my lifts afterwards

11. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

:ugh2:

12. lawrencel715

lawrencel715 New Member

the calorie counter on the elliptical reads about 125 calories burned after i'm done with 7:30 minutes on the elliptical. it's about the same after my 8:30 minute running routine. so that's about 500. so it's in the 450-500 range.

13. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

Always lift first. why exhaust yourself before you even lift. Instead of workin 85/90% you'll be maxing out at 65/70%.

Been there, done that. Learnt from that mistake.

14. Two toys

Two toys New Member

I always do my cardio first. but I do cardio 2 times a week (workout 4) and for cardio i bike for 20 minutes. so if anything thats exhausting my legs. and on days that I do cardio I do abs after and then chest. i dont feel like im losing anything by starting with cardio, maybe because its only for 20 minutes.

15. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

Yeah I always put my cardio (I only do cardio when cutting) after my lifting. 20min x 4 days a week.

16. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Only exception here is if you're doing interval training or speedwork, best to do those before lifting.

17. lawrencel715

lawrencel715 New Member

really....is this agreed on by almost everyone? i've been doing cardio first because it warms me up, and then i'm able to stretch. without the running, my muscles are more tense, and even stretching doesn't relieve too much of that.

how's 5 minutes of moderate cardio, stretch, lift, and at the end, 15 minutes cardio?

18. Chris3G

i lift , 45-55 minutes usually, rest for 5, then 45-60 minutes cardio, incline walking on the treadmill.

19. Two toys

Two toys New Member

honestly what I've realised Is that every single person I talk to has a different way of doing things. honestly just do what works for you, if somethings not creating resuls than switch it up.

20. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

you don't want to static stretch before lifting

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.