Am I doing it right? v.Cutting

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by The Cable Guy, Oct 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

So I've been going to the gym for almost 3 months now. I've gotten noticeably bigger, and I do see an increase in the weight I can lift.

However, I still have a gut. I've been running 2miles 2x a week and eating decently healthy.

Now I want to try something else.

I'm currently at 153lbs so I should be taking in around 2300 Calories a day.

My next step right now, is to increase my 2-mile runs to 3-4x a week, and also to cut down on my Calorie intake to about 1800 Cal.

At the same time, I will maintain my usual gym schedule and routine 4-5x a week ~1.5hrs each session.

Now, are the things I listed good to go, or what should I tweak or change?

Also, if I do plan on cutting, is there any chance of maintaining my currently muscle mass and strength, or possibly even increase it during the cutting stage?

Any input is appreciated, thanks guys.

2. Muerte

Muerte New Member

At 153lbs there is almost nothing to cut. If you really want to do it, here are some pointers:

First, your gut will go away much faster if you stick to a healthy diet compared to just working out with decently healthy meals.

Also, the running seems excessive, I'd do low-intense cardio 4-5 times a week, 30-45min (perhaps on empty stomach if you can do it) if you come to a point, where you need to cut.

As a beginner, you can pull cutting fat and putting on a little muscle at the same time....enjoy your noob gains :) But seriously, bulk up first if you arent 5'5 or something....

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  3. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

I should've included that I am 5'5" :rofl:

I have handfuls of fat on my stomach area, love handle, lower back, and some on my neck area.

4. Thomas Crenshaw

Thomas Crenshaw New Member

just keep eating clean, keep the cals at atleast 2300 and just do lots of compound workouts..keep activating your core a few times a week and you'll be fine. even at 5'5 you should be more concerned with putting some good mass first and cut down after you've got some muscle to lean out.

5. ices

ices New Member

Are you increasing your 2-mile to 3-4x week to get better at running or to try to cut weight? Try a different form of cardio and/or cut your calories slowly (500 is a bit much when you're only at 2300).

6. The Method

The Method Lurker In Progress

Three months isn't long enough.

If you're working out like a "normal" person should, you have to understand that the fat around the your waist is the last place to go... you will lean out in your face, arms, legs, everywhere else, before that waist wil go.

7. Adom

Adom OT Supporter

i'm still fat, but I have been losing fat and gaining muscle since I started working out.

i'm guessing there will be a turning point where I will no longer gain muscle to lose weight, but for now it's working.

it goes much slower (losing weight) while your lifting as well.

8. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

Did not know this. I guess I should just keep going at my current routine and focus on my diet then? Time to hit up the grocery store. Running out at home.

I'm definitely seeing results and weight gain due to muscle mass, but I just wanted to cut out the fat. I guess I'll keep going for a few more months to see if results extend down to the gut.

9. The Method

The Method Lurker In Progress

Honestly man it sounds like you're on the right path but it's not a short term goal unless you cheat, have super genetics, or nothing but money/freetime/personal assistants.

Just realize that having a healthy body is a result of living a healthy lifestyle. It's not an instant short term goal for most people.

10. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

:werd: I understand the whole healthy lifestyle thing, and I'm trying my best to abide by it, and so far I'm not doing too horribly.

I guess I'm just eager to see the results. :mamoru:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.